Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What laptop to use?

Being a imaging virgin :icon_redface: I am still at the collecting the equipment stage. I have now managed to track down a SPC880 webcam at a nice price but don't have a laptop. Not having any intentions of dragging my PC outside I need to get one, so what sort of spec should I be looking for? Would love to have one running Windows 8 but don't know whether the imaging software/hardware is compatable.

Any advice would be most gratefully received. Thanks!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would go for Win 7. As well as having fewer compatibility issues, it doesn't run like it was put together by a clutch of baboons :) . Seriously though, you should have no problems with Win 7. I would caution against win XP now though as its pretty old. Before long there will be ever more nagging compatibility issues.

I got a netbook for just under £200 for imaging with. I've not got the camera yet, but I assume it will do the job. I've taken it out, just for learning my way around with Stellarium and being so small and light, it works well for that. If you need to do a lot of processing afterwards, then you can transfer the pics/vids to your main PC.

It does look like most manufacturers are going to stop producing netbooks and go down the tablet route instead. Shame really, for imaging, with a tablets lack of ports, limited software and low storage, I suspect they will not be as good for imaging.

I've got one stamped with the serial number 0012 ;). Ok, maybe it's not that old but its pretty old. So far it's done everything I've asked of it without a problem (maybe a bit slow but so am I) I can't see the point of spending a lot of money on one when it's only ever used out in the elements. I do all the processing on the pc :)

I'm using a 4 year old Samsung NC10 running XP and it has coped with anything it's been asked to do. Great battery life and extremely portable, couldn't recommend it highly enough.

I have always used XP - I know it's old but I find it more compatible with a lot of the imaging software, whereas I have had plenty of problems with Win7, and as Oily says above, Win 8 is still very new and is bound to have as yet undiscovered issues.

I'll go against the grain here, i've got a 4yr old acer running win Vista (32bit) & it works with everything i've thrown at it. I may be wrong with this but i dont think APT & BYE work with win7

Steve

I agree. APT and BYE are light softwares...I mean light in the sense of modern computers - including the ones manufactured 6 years ago. But Windows Vista, Steve?!! :) I remember few years back when we demanded that our company change Vista back to XP, because it was causing some problems in development and stuff. I almost went bald pulling my hair out. Before we knew it, there was the magnificent Windows 7. I think the server administrator sigh of relief was heard across the country then :) And my hair was saved.

And yes, Vista or XP, with the minimal home system requirement will do just fine. Unless of course you want to run latest version of Photoshop. Then on slow processor you machine will struggle to death.

Netbooks are fine for running AP. I have a little Samsung Netbook running XP and it runs CDC, EQMOD, APT, PhD all at the same time. I also have a vista system doing the same.

I've not heard of any issues surrounding Win7 and APT though. Might have to look into that, as I have a windows 7 PC ready to use.

Typed by me on my fone, using fumms... Excuse eny speling errurs.

Netbooks are fine for running AP. I have a little Samsung Netbook running XP and it runs CDC, EQMOD, APT, PhD all at the same time. I also have a vista system doing the same.

I've not heard of any issues surrounding Win7 and APT though. Might have to look into that, as I have a windows 7 PC ready to use.

I may be wrong with APT (dont want to mis inform anyone)

I use AP on Windows 7 without any problems.

Wow! Thanks guys, a lot to think about. My PC is Windows 7 and I like the way it works (most of the time!). Laptop or netbook, humm., thats something I had not considered.

That Asus looks a nice machine. Its not a name I've heard of before.

If you're buying a new laptop, i,d suggest one with a backlit keyboard, makes it much much much easier when out in the dark.

I have red acetate over the screen, but not sure you can get red backlit keys.

I used a Toshiba laptop with a AMD sempron processer for planetary using my SPC & it seemed to run fine with that. However when I upgraded the camera to a QHY5L-II it struggled & kept locking up so I ended up getting a second hand Dell D630 with Win7 & a dual core processor, it runs it fine now although the memory could do with an upgrade.

I would go for Win 7. As well as having fewer compatibility issues

Well I can't get my W7 pc to recognise my Canon 350D ;) Been trying all afternoon,even changed the pc connection to print/ptp to no avail

If it's anything like my 10D you will need to update the firmware, which is a nightmare but can be done. There will be a file to download which you need to get onto the memory card of the camera after download. I did this a few years ago though, so can't remember the details. If you search google, you should find instructions. How's the GPUSB?

You plug your camera into a USB 2 port and Win 7 fails to recognise anything, no device at all? From my use of Win 7 thats unusual.

It tries to install it but fails for some reason,something about drivers etc??

Archived