NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What laptop to use?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surely any laptop would do, the speed of the usb would would more likely be the limiting factor, but usb2.0 works fine!

My Toshiba with the Sempron processor wouldn't run PHD with my QHY5L as it just used to lock up & freeze, I tried the same with a Celeron processor & it did exactly the same & both had plenty of memory & reasonably fast processors running win7. They both worked fine running the SPC so I asked the guys at QHY & it would seem that he camera wasn't compatible with the chipset.

If you are getting a non touch screen then I would choose one with Windows 7 rather than Windows 8 as 8 can be a little fiddly when using with a mouse/trackpad and keyboard which ain't great in the dark! Also if your budget can stretch to it replace the primary hard drive with a solid state hard drive, this will allow your battery life to be increased, it will run faster and should lower the opereating tempreture of the device slightly. Also solid state is tougher when it comes to dew!

I'm trying to get hold of a new Win 7 laptop without much success.

I may be able to buy one through the school's procurment system as we use exclusivly Win 7 but it's likely to cost over the odds.

A naughty word against win 8 :mad:

Got my 8.9" Hercules ecafe specifically for imaging £40 on ebay. 160gb hd, 1.8ghz processor 4 usb ports. Running xp. It was cheap cause the battery is duff but i run it off my powerpack.. Full of imaging software and wifi handy while waiting for cool down. I got a red acrylic sheet cut it to size and use velcro it .this all fits in an aluminium flight case with my power leads and EP.

Don't worry too much about os,a big hdd and fairly fast cpu will make a good little imaging machine.

Archived