Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Replacement Foam for Maplins flight cases

Stargazer_00

Not really sure where to ask this. Anyone know what options there are to replace the foam inside the maplins flight cases? Mine had the small squares ripe for plucking. It's all gone a bit rubbish where I've had many eyepieces in it and left too little border between the EPs.

Got new, bigger EPs to put in it now and need to rethink the way I laid it out. Rather than go abd buy a whole new case, which seems rather a waste of money, I wondered if there was an easy way to strip the foam out of it and put in a new lot.

Any ideas?

I'm facing a similar problem. There are places online to get precut foam but the foam costs more than a new flight case. As I have only plucked the top layer of my foam I thought I might get some kind of cheap foam padding - maybe some wooden flooring underlay, take out the existing foam layers and pack out the bottom of the case with the underlay then use the unplucked layer on the top.

You can get quite cheap cushion ,thick foam from Dunelm or similar.

the problem is cutting it without leaving a mess. I used a jigsaw, followed by plucking any loose bits and vacuuming up the mess.

in the bottom of each ep hole I put the top of a large milk container, so the bottom of the ep didn't disturb the foam. These tops also exactly fit the top of most 1.25" eps.

Nick.

I have also been pondering on this recently, having moved all my imaging bits to a new Maplins case and wanting to re-use the old case for something else. Prices of the pluck foam do seem ridiculous. I was thinking about putting several layers of normal foam in the box and using a hot nichrome wire to cut the top layers to suit the parts I want to keep in it.

James

I just look at the prices and think "for a tenner more you can have a nice new shiney case with new foam and still keep the old one for odds and ends of which you have many"...

We live in such a dodgy world these days, is everything less than £50 disposable?

i bought twice now from here. quick post and good price. but its not pluck type ,so youll want a nice sharp blade to cut your shapes.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Foam-Block-Insert-For-EN-AC-FG-A022-Flight-Case-/390537636473?pt=UK_Camera_Cases_Bags_Covers&hash=item5aeddb6a79

i think theres different sizes , i got one to fit my case perfctly.

We live in such a dodgy world these days, is everything less than £50 disposable?

You have it the wrong way around. If we stop being good little consumers, throwing away everything broken if it costs less than £50, then the economy collapses.

James

You have it the wrong way around. If we stop being good little consumers, throwing away everything broken if it costs less than £50, then the economy collapses.

James

Regrettably so. Hence most items have built in obsolescence or an upgrade path.

Give me well built stuff that lasts forever!

I reckon progress is overrated though! The economy is only in recession cos we aim for continual growth and when it shrinks, the wheel falls off. I reckon we should just stop measuring it!

The king of Bhutan has it right by measuring Gross Domestic Happiness in his kingdom, not Gross Domestic Production.

Typed by me on my fone, using fumms... Excuse eny speling errurs.

I reckon progress is overrated though! The economy is only in recession cos we aim for continual growth and when it shrinks, the wheel falls off. I reckon we should just stop measuring it!

The king of Bhutan has it right by measuring Gross Domestic Happiness in his kingdom, not Gross Domestic Production.

Sometimes I find it hard not to think of the King of Bhutan as an exceptionally wise man. Didn't they also ban television until 1999?

I'm so fighting an urge to go off on a rant about western capitalist economics now and I really don't want to drag this thread that far off-topc. Must.... Resist....

James

Sometimes I find it hard not to think of the King of Bhutan as an exceptionally wise man. Didn't they also ban television until 1999?

I'm so fighting an urge to go off on a rant about western capitalist economics now and I really don't want to drag this thread that far off-topc. Must.... Resist....

James

Me too.

Typed by me on my fone, using fumms... Excuse eny speling errurs.

Give me well built stuff that lasts forever!

I've got boxer shorts older than the reltionship with my wife. I'm sure it's her hatred of them that allows them to endure :D

Can't take the topic much more off the rails than that, so go ahead and discuss western capitalism to your hearts content

Archived