NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Outside with eyepieces.

hi there

I don't believe it's required, in fact maintaining them just above ambient is preferable as they steam up less. I suppose with huge eyepieces (Nagler 31mm, Ethos etc) there might be some advantage to cooling them but I have never seen it and many people use heat strips to retain the above ambient temperature.

I keep my eyepieces (including the big guns !) a bit warmer than the outside temperature. The foam in the eyepiece case seems to retain the heat a bit if I keep the lid down in between changing eyepieces.

If eyepieces get too cold the heat of your eyeball can cause them to fog which is very frustrating.

I also keep mine in my pockets, in bubble wrap envelopes to keep the dust off (there always seems to be brickdust in all my pockets :shocked: ). One problem is remembering which pocket has which eyepiece, but if you stick to some sort of system it soon becomes easy.

Keep in the pocket, retained in one of those drawstring pouches that photographic outlets supply for lenses, this way if the caps come off, your precious eye piece wont come into contact with any residual grit that might be present, Baader have already thought of this as they supply such a pouch with each their Hyperion series :)

John.

I agree, keep 'em a bit warmer, I use pockets and eyepiece/equipement case to keep them above ambient. When I started, I used the eyepiece holders built into my trypod and found that they fogged up quicker when cold (especially as there's damp in the air a lot of the time here just waiting to condense out).

Archived