Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ direct help please

spaceboy

The EQmod can be used in conjunction with your favourite planetarium program to control the scope. Slewing between objects etc etc.

If your mount is correctly polar aligned and correctly parked between sessions (best in a fixed observatory) then you just fire it up and go... no more fiddling around.

As Merlin66 has said, there are lots of advantages in using the EQDir and EQMod to control your mount and autoguiding by 'pulse guiding' is almost a by-product of the system.

Have a good play with the system set up in the comfort of your lounge to see all the features that EQMod brings to your fingertips before setting up outside. A good planetarium program to use with EQMod is Cartes du Ciel.

What are the advantages other than guiding by using the EQ Direct ???

The advantage of the EQDirect issimply that it allows you to use EQMOD instead of the handcontroller as your mount controller. The advantages of EQMOD are numerous! Here are a few:

User interface:

gamepad supported - button functions totally configurable.

User configerable sound for command feedback - i.e speech if desired.

Initial Setup:

Time/timezone/daylight savings etc taken From PC, corrected by GPS

Observing site - can store 10 preset locations.

Supports a wide range of GPS for automatic location and time sync

correction.

Star Alignment.

No restriction on alignment star selection. You can align on ANY star in the sky, you are not set to a limited number of stars in a small list, you can choose a 15th magnitude star if you want, although not recommended :)

N-Point model.

Pointing models can be saved and restored for those with permanent mounts.

Pointing model can be refined by via sync to add new points.

Gotos:

Goto accuracy improved by pointing model and iterative gotos.

Limit protection for user defined Horizon

slewing:

User definable slew rates on RA and DEC any where from 0.1x to 800x sidereal

User definable preset rates (10 max).

Spiral search

Object Database:

Only restricted by the ASCOM client you're using

Tour user definable tours. show objects above horizon or any other

declination you choose

No restriction on the number of user objects.

Park Scope:

Park on horizon limits or RA limits

Unpark to predefined position.

Multiple custom part positions

PEC Training:

Variable speed PEC rather than fixed speed.

Ability to load and save multiple PEC traces

Visualisation of worm phase and likely PE even when PEC not engaged.

Tracking:

PEC, if enabled, is integral part of Sidereal rate not a separate rate.

Custom RA and DEC rates supported

Limit protection for user defined Horizon and RA limits

Autoguiding:

Pulseguide support, Visualisation of guiding corrections/performance,

Close integration with PEC.

This all said EQMOD is one of those things you really have to use to apreciate fully.

Chris.

My word I didn't realize there was so much to it. I must have had the EQ direct for 6 months now and never bothered to give it a go because I thought it was only good for guiding but it sounds like I have been missing out. Thanks for the replies guys.

• 2 months later...

I have used pc direct mode on my synscan controller and eq5 pro mounts since I started this hobby. Never failed me.

I think I had all the options available in EQMOD with pc direct mode.

Now I have a heq5 pro and also go for eqdirect, purely so that I dont have to go through all the menus on the synscan and that my gps and time is 100% accurate. (from pc)

• 2 weeks later...

1 more vote for eqmod. .I've just not long converted from hand controller to eqmod via eqtooth and I love it...so much better than the hand controller...cdc is my choice of software and can't fault it...no flaffin about trying to rember what you want to view. ...point and click...brilliant as Steve says hand controller redundant...Davy

Could I possibly ask here about eqmod's pc direct mode?

For sync with CdC via handset pc direct, what would the starting point be? and would I need to star align before trying to configure eqascom or Carts du ciel? i'm assuming the park position followed by a star alignment onscreen but unsure if this would work?

I'm mainly interested in using PhD, but the posters first question and the features mentioned above are going to be relevant, although will have to wait for the eqdir cable first.

Sorry to jump the thread, thought i'd try here rather than post a new1... :p

Regards

Aenima

If you have an EQDIR cable on the way why bother with the handset at all? I don't actually think i've used mine once. Although, if you are setting it to PCDirect mode doesn't it just relay information between EQMOD and the mount? I'm prepared to be corrected on that.

For alignment, CDC and EQASCOM work well together and Chris has a step-by-step youtube video or PDF for the initial polar alignment which is good. The subsequent go-to alignment is very simple. Centre and Sync on your alignment star in CDC repeat for 2 others and you'll see EQMOD updating each time you add a point.

Aenima,

The PCdirect is a feature of the Synscan controller - not supported by Chris and EQmod.

Having said that I regularly use the PCdirect connection (Synscan V3.27) with no problems at all.

Just connect it up, use say CdC and EQmod to do your alignment stars and enjoy!!!

Thank you, after having doubts as to how to first align the scope with Cdc I tried it anyway and did find the sync to be much easier than anticipated, no need to align with the handset (this had been the bit I was unsure on, as i'm so used to needing a 2 or 3 star alignment for synscan to find its bearings, but from 'home' position its pretty straightforward :))

I had hoped to be able to use PhD with ascom/eqascom without the need to align/sync with planetarium software, just 'add' guiding to the already configured goto system - but from what ive been told the guiding through PhD needs both ascom and eqmod as well as a syncing with a planetarium to work properly.

So now, as I need to use cartes du ciel or stellarium in order to guide using PhD anyway I might as well go the extra bit and purchase the eqmod cable that replaces the handset. I'm pleasantly surprised how easy the CdC software and eqmod/ascom work together with my mount and it'll make losing my precious handset much less traumatic :p

Thanks for the input, :)

Regards

Aenima

Aenima,

You can use PHD without EQMod.

All it needs is a connection to the mount and a guide camera with an ST4 connection.

It is totally independent of planetarium software, syncing or GOTO etc etc

Aenima,

You can use PHD without EQMod.

All it needs is a connection to the mount and a guide camera with an ST4 connection.

It is totally independent of planetarium software, syncing or GOTO etc etc

Yeah trouble is my cam is spc 900 lx so its got to speak to something other than the st4 (as far as i'm aware the only way to not need eqmod/ascom is to have a autoguider/ dedicated guide cam).

Can I ask if - when using LX via a com port - you can choose a port to stop the mount and the camera fighting for the same ports/connections ?

Thanks

Aenima

Yes you can set a port in EQMOD I believe (if that's what you mean). Choose a lower number as I've heard there are some issues when using high com port numbers.

Thanks. Yes I'd like to choose a port that my camera isnt using. When both are running the mount connects but I lose the long exp on the webcam, so wondered if there was an easy way to select a different com port.

Regards

Aenima

The advantage of the EQDirect issimply that it allows you to use EQMOD instead of the handcontroller as your mount controller. The advantages of EQMOD are numerous! Here are a few:

User interface:

gamepad supported - button functions totally configurable.

User configerable sound for command feedback - i.e speech if desired.

Initial Setup:

Time/timezone/daylight savings etc taken From PC, corrected by GPS

Observing site - can store 10 preset locations.

Supports a wide range of GPS for automatic location and time sync

correction.

Star Alignment.

No restriction on alignment star selection. You can align on ANY star in the sky, you are not set to a limited number of stars in a small list, you can choose a 15th magnitude star if you want, although not recommended :)

N-Point model.

Pointing models can be saved and restored for those with permanent mounts.

Pointing model can be refined by via sync to add new points.

Gotos:

Goto accuracy improved by pointing model and iterative gotos.

Limit protection for user defined Horizon

slewing:

User definable slew rates on RA and DEC any where from 0.1x to 800x sidereal

User definable preset rates (10 max).

Spiral search

Object Database:

Only restricted by the ASCOM client you're using

Tour user definable tours. show objects above horizon or any other

declination you choose

No restriction on the number of user objects.

Park Scope:

Park on horizon limits or RA limits

Unpark to predefined position.

Multiple custom part positions

PEC Training:

Variable speed PEC rather than fixed speed.

Ability to load and save multiple PEC traces

Visualisation of worm phase and likely PE even when PEC not engaged.

Tracking:

PEC, if enabled, is integral part of Sidereal rate not a separate rate.

Custom RA and DEC rates supported

Limit protection for user defined Horizon and RA limits

Autoguiding:

Pulseguide support, Visualisation of guiding corrections/performance,

Close integration with PEC.

This all said EQMOD is one of those things you really have to use to apreciate fully.

Chris.

I have to say im sold.

After first trying it yesterday with a view to guiding i'm now happily slewing around using cartes du ciel and tonight - a day later - im pulse guiding my EQ5 with PHd and finderguider!

Now realising how easy it is to get it going, and how redundant my handset is right now, it really is pretty amazing. Also a big help was the youtube videos chris has done (only just saw them tonight:P) which are just as straight forward as the rest of it. Many thanks to both Chris and the EQMOD group (yahoo) for the advice and the software in general.

I will soon be ordering the proper eqdir cable - using 'pc direct' mode at the moment - and checking out the other functions mentioned above.

Thanks again, :)

Regards

Aenima

Archived