Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Another step to the sword......

Uranium235

Another panel added to the Ha, and another two hours on the DSLR. Processing is starting to take quite a long time now so I probably wont touch it again until I have the full set of data (another 2 1/2 hours). Ive played around with the colour balance a bit to bring out a bit more blue, but the halos on the brigher stars also picked up a bit of blue (have tried to deal with it a bit). In the final run, I will protect them a bit better to cut down the bloat.

The Ha data was also blended with the DSLR mono luminance master to reduce the noise and bring out the hidden detail. M42 the running man are DSLR, everything outstide that is mostly CCD - which gives the space between M42 and the Running Man an almost smokey, firey appearance. Still a little work to do with the noise, but it will be easier to deal with that once the Ha is complete and I can remove any pesky gradients while im at it.

10 hours on both cameras.... and still not finished!

Thanks for looking!

:)

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=85351

post-5513-0-65200500-1361063329_thumb.jp

WOW!!! Amazing dedication, got to be one of the top shots of this on sgl i love it

Cheers Ewan, still a way to go yet. I havent calibrated the CCD data properly too - hence the feint blue/magenta streak down the right hand side (bias noise). I can see that doing the final version will require lots of coffee and choccy biccies, but not until I get that missing panel - all this cloud is driving me insane! :)

Having said that - it is clear out there at the moment, but thats not much use as Orion is well gone at this time.

That has to be one of the very best images of M42 I've ever seen. The colours are stunning & I cant wait to see the final result, although I do wonder that this will be one that you'll keep going back to for a long while to come :grin: Great image to have in my head just b4 I go to bed. Thanks.

Steve

That has to be one of the very best images of M42 I've ever seen. The colours are stunning & I cant wait to see the final result, although I do wonder that this will be one that you'll keep going back to for a long while to come :grin: Great image to have in my head just b4 I go to bed. Thanks.

Steve

Agreed................... :grin:

NASA have called and they would like control of The Hubble returned back to them.

Well done...

lol.... That made me chuckle :)

Thanks for the kind comments. Tonight looks promising in weather terms (clear from 7 - 9.30), which might just be enought time to grab that missing Ha and dump another 12 subs from the 1000d into the pot. I might not be able to tackle the processing straight away because im seriously lacking in darks (60 lights, only 32 darks), so I should top those up first, then take a complete new set of flats. The 1000d hasnt been moved for the entire project, so one big set is all thats needed (50 or 60?).

Its raised a couple of questions as to exactly how many calibration frames I need for a high sub count. Do I match the amount of lights with darks/flats, or do I exceed that figure by something like 30%. The final frame count for the DSLR will be about 72x600 (12 hours).

I do get this feeling this one is really stretching my skillset, because by the time i'd created the umpteenth layer mask I was starting to huff and puff a bit. The working directory is a mess with about two dozen versions at various stages. I need to be a bit more organised for the final run.

I know my planetary processing does not even compare to what you are doig but i understand what you mean about untidy directories, you end up 'just trying this & that' & before long you have no HD room left :-)

Did you get any data last night ? hope you managed a bit to help on your quest, going to be a belter.

Something like 20-30 darks is sufficient. It's a law of diminishing returns. It's not a matter of matching darks to lights - it's just a matter of getting enough darks etc.

Something like 20-30 darks is sufficient. It's a law of diminishing returns. It's not a matter of matching darks to lights - it's just a matter of getting enough darks etc.

Cheers Gina, just what I needed know know. I will leave the darks alone, but I definitely need new flats becuase the ones ive been using were taken at ISO400 (will have a different read noise).

It's looking better & better all the time Rob, excellent work. Just out of interest, how do you plan to remove any gradients in there - is this with Photoshop or PI? I'm also impressed by the hours you've put in here. I've also accumulated around 9 hours of data on my current luminence/RGB target and it's taken me 6 weeks to do that with the awful weather since Christmas coupled with the rare opportunities to image when the Moon is down.

It's looking better & better all the time Rob, excellent work. Just out of interest, how do you plan to remove any gradients in there - is this with Photoshop or PI? I'm also impressed by the hours you've put in here. I've also accumulated around 9 hours of data on my current luminence/RGB target and it's taken me 6 weeks to do that with the awful weather since Christmas coupled with the rare opportunities to image when the Moon is down.

Tell me about it, this could have been done in 3 x 5 hour sessions, but its taken nearly two months! The gradient removal is done in PS if its a colour gradient (noels actions), if its in the luminance I run it through Maxim (though that can be a bit hit/miss).

Cheers Bill!

Im out at the moment trying to get that last panel, though the conditions arent great so Im sticking to Ha only. Hopefully the result wont be too noisy.

Processing this is going to be a challenge, I might be gone for some time.... :)

Archived