Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Holmes 17/P 300D ED80

What a great comet!

Never seen anything quite like it myself. Being nice and high in the sky makes life a little easier - can you imagine what it would have been like at new moon :shock:

This image is a stack of 28 x 12 seconds prime focus 300D and ED80 - no filters. I thought that I would take a single image of the moon for a size reference....

This image has been resized - with a full size crop underneath.

2085_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

2086_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

Ant

Cheers guys, it is great to see. I wonder why more hasn't been made of this in the press? Ok it's not a classic comet - i.e. virtually no tail, but hey a comet brightening up this much must be of interest to some people.

Roger phoned me last night - I was in the garden just looking around (and it was cold) Roger was in his warm room... last time I went into his warm room it was around 80f... too hot!!!

I'll be out again tonight (if it's clear) and might try using the barlow straight onto the 2" adapter...(about a 1.6 increase)

Ant

Cheers Guys,

I was a little worried to start with, the comet seems to have a soft edge (to the right side), I thought that maybe that was due to the stack being performed on the stars and not the comet.

But most of the other images were the same so I guess it's all OK.

I'm going to try again tonight for a load of images and see if I can improve the image.

Ant

Great capture Ant. :evil:

Cheers guys, it is great to see. I wonder why more hasn't been made of this in the press? Ok it's not a classic comet - i.e. virtually no tail, but hey a comet brightening up this much must be of interest to some people.

Ant

I agree. I haven't heard a word about this on TV/radio or in the papers. :smiley:

Great capture Ant. :(

Ant

I agree. I haven't heard a word about this on TV/radio or in the papers. :smiley:

I;m amazed that we haven't hear more about this comet. All my work colleagues are trying to view it tonight after I used Cartes du Ciel to show them where to look :evil:

Archived