SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

13/02/2013 Sirius B!

Damo636

Spurred on by Johns recent succsss, & the first clear night in a week, I had a proper go at this elusive target last night. Seeing was fair to pretty good at times, although probably not optimal for such a difficult object.

Using Rigel B as a reference (similar seperation), I started at mid powers and gradually increased the mag right up to 343x with the 7mm XW/1.6x barlow.

The cleanest views I had were at 240x with the 10mm XW/1.6x barlow. I observed for about about an hour in total, and although I had a few fleeting moments where I thought I was detecting a faint speck of light just east and slightly north of the main component, I couldn't say with any real certainty I sucessfully viewed the smaller component.

I have a 5mm eyepiece incoming today that will get me to 300x without using a barlow. I'm hoping that the unbarlowed approach, + "hopefully" some better conditions will allow me to conclusively view this tiny speck of light for the first time.

Updates to follow :-)

What you describe sounds right to me Damo - well done mate :smiley:

I can't wait to have another crack at this one. It's only a tiny glimmer amidst the glare of Sirius but it means a lot to be able to glimpse it :smiley:

Cheers guys!!

It'll take another few goes at this to confirm, but with slightly better conditions, and now armed with a 5mm eyepiece (300x), I'm quietly confident I can do it :-)

Good luck in Austria Michael, it should be slightly easier at higher altitude.

....I think at this rate I might have to commission some badges or something so we can all show-off our achievements :).....

I think there should be two badges Ian - a big bright one and a tiny little one right next to it :smiley:

You really have seen it I am sure Damo, well done. It is so much easier for me here to see this, trying Rigel as you were I split it tonight with a magnification of X32, you can only see them because the stars are so stable and the scintillation is no longer a factor. I look at Sirius almost like you would say look at Vega overhead, it makes a hell of a difference.

BTW I like the T shirt idea from Andrew,

What about for people that try and fail, Surely you can not B Sirius!

Alan.

Although I was very pleased to spot Sirus B last week for the first time, looking at the position chart of the pair, I guess it has to be said that it is getting gradually easier as the years go by:

http://astrobob.areavoices.com/astrobob/images/Sirius-B-Orbit-de_svg_1.jpg

Spotting it in 2000 would have been really tough !

Somehow I doubt if it will ever get really easy though.

Well done Damo :).I had another go at x185, then x216 and x260 with my 100mm f13 last night. No success, despite a good 30mins trying with a well-cooled tube. I think I need to try from another location, as Sirius is always pretty low over neighbours' roofs from my backgarden, and it seems the air may always be always too turbulent.

• 2 weeks later...

I had another crack at "The Pup" last night and had my best views of this difficult target to date. Between 8-9pm, conditions were truly exceptional, the best I have seen in months. As before, I used Rigel and its companion to familiarize myself with the separation.

Starting at 214x with a 7mm Pentax XW eyepiece, I thought I was getting the occasional glimpse but it came and went as quick so not very satisfying. I switched to the 5mm XW (300x), and within miutes, unbelievably, there it was :laugh:. It still came and went, but on a few occasions I was able to track the tiny point of light right across the 70 degree afov of the XW, an absolutely mesmerizing sight! This object in terms of difficulty, is right up there with my previous "personal best", the central star in M57, (although I found the Ring star more challenging), so I'm well chuffed :smiley:

Well done again Damo :smiley:

I'm hoping to catch it again tonight if the seeing cooperates. It's never an easy target though but strangely satisfying to observe. I guess thats because I've been reading for years just how darn difficult it is to spot !

I must have a good search for M57's central star when Lyra is high in the sky again later this year :smiley:

Well done Damo, I had an odd time with it last night, read it in Obs discussions it may be a good way of cracking it.

Again well done

John, Yes I will try that one again, it will not be long before it is coming up before the milkman calls.

Alan

Thanks Guys!

I'm looking forward to another crack at the M57 central star myself. Its takes a "lot" of patience and perseverance, but with the right conditions, definitely doable.

Archived