Newbie with best binoculars query

jelaird

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to the forum. For general advice on binoculars I would take a look at this site which is also great for suggesting objects to find. FLO do a range of affordable binoculars but without knowing the budget its difficult to make a specific recommendation.

Clear skies and enjoy the forum

James

A warm welcome to you.

Just about any optical aid will improve your view. A good way to start is with 7x50s or 10x50s though this is not an absolute rule. If your budget will stretch to it 15x70s will show more of the sky.

As binoculars are more often hand held, too much magnitude will make it harder to get a steady image.

As JamesM states, FLO have a wide variety of bins.

Happy hunting!

Go with 15x70s Revelation. By laying on your back , holding them up near the big end and jamming your elbows tightly into your body you'll get fine views, a bad back and neighbours who give you funny looks.

They're also great for terrestrial .

If too heavy then it's 10 x50s,

Nick.

Hi Jelaird and welcome to SGL. if you are on a tight budget and you would like the slightly larger 15X70 bins you can always use the upturned yard broom technique with a cloth over the bristles, as a makeshift mono-pod :)

John.

Helo and welcome, 7x , 8X and 9X are easier to hold steady , once you go to 10X things start getting shaky when hand held. I had a 10X 50 Celestron Ultimas which had fantastic views but after a while I sold them becouse of that reason. I then saved up and got a pair of Canon

10 x 30 is ( image stabilized ) binos. The stabilization made up for the aperature loss for me anyway.

Dave

post-28999-0-74963500-1360768879_thumb.j

I don't want to repeat what everyone else has wrote so my advice would be to go and look through some different types and see what suites you best, what feels best in your hand but generally people seem to go for 10x50 as they can be hand held, I'm waiting on anpair of 10x60 but only after trying every pair in the shop. Then let your budget dictate where you buy from.

Helo and welcome, 7x , 8X and 9X are easier to hold steady , once you go to 10X things start getting shaky when hand held. I had a 10X 50 Celestron Ultimas which had fantastic views but after a while I sold them becouse of that reason. I then saved up and got a pair of Canon

10 x 30 is ( image stabilized ) binos. The stabilization made up for the aperature loss for me anyway.

Dave

Great binos but might be a bit of a stretch on a tight budget, agree with magnification though - but you really need to try for yourself to know that.

Welcome to SGL. I would settle for 10x50 or 7x50. 15x70 is rather harder to hold steadily, although a monopod can solve that and need not cost the earth. It is important to try the bins. Cheap bins vary a lot, and quality control is questionable at best. You can pick up a pair of 10x50 Bresser bins (not the ones I have, BTW) for very little at Lidl, but you do need to check them for misalignment etc (not difficult). Tips on how to choose are here: http://binocularsky.com/binoc_choosing.php

Hello all. I'm a complete beginner wondering which binoculars are best to start out with on a limited budget please.

Thanks to everyone for their responses. My budget is less than £100. I read that Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 were good value for money but I guess I need to buy a tripod for them. How much is a reasonable tripod? That said, I think I would prefer handheld ones. Thanks for the Praktica Diana tip - does anyone else agree/have alternative suggestions for hanheld ones?? Jayne

Hi everyone, thanks for your responses. As I'm new to this forum I'm not sure whether I'm supposed to reply to my own topic or hit 'Quote' which I just did. I think I'm veering towards handheld bins - thanks for the Praktica Diana tip. Any other suggestions? My budget is less than £100. Thanks again for all the advice - I need all I can get as I'm completely new to 'stargazing'. Jayne

Archived