Another new member!

JannyD

Hi from the cloudy SW of England. I've done a lot of observing, mainly off an alt az mount, and a fair bit of photography, mainly with other people's kit. I haven't had to set it up! I've just bought a Skywatcher EQ3 mount with dual axis drive and Synscan (thanks SGL for helping me with the cables - that bit didn't come with instructions). Ultimately I will use a scope on the mount but initially I just want to use a camera & lens. As far as I can see I can't put the camera direct onto the mounting bar supplied so next step is to get one made up for a ball head. I'm sure I will be back for advice!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to SGL from the very cloudy west end of Somerset :)

A ball head is the way to go for mounting a camera I think. I have a short dovetail to fit the mount with a ball head bolted to it with the camera fitted using a quick release mount. Having the ball head makes adjusting framing and alignment much easier than having to work out which way to move RA and DEC to achieve the same thing.

James

Archived