Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Laptop Advise

adamw

I am not sure if this is the correct forum for this. I am planning on buying a new laptop which will be eventually be used for all my astro imaging and pressing requirements, i am a complete novice when it comes to astrophotography, although I do now have an SPC900 and my wifes canon eos450d. Is there anything i should be avioding ie windows 8, 64 bit etc ? I seem to remember reading something about problems with windows 8.

Adam

I use a 64-bit Win7 Acer i3-370 which works pretty well for me.

The biggest irritation I've found is that I've not been able to track down any calibration files for the display, so what I see on the screen after processing is not quite the same colour as produced when I view the same image on my desktop.

James

Another vote for Win 7 (64bit in my case). All my Astro software works on it (I havn't found anything that doesn't yet). You should get a bargain if you look for "preloaded" stock as most of the big distributors have gone over to windows 8 and the old Win 7 stock is getting sold off pretty cheaply.

Check the requirements of the imaging software you intend to use , but would agree with the above, go windows 7 64bit as its more tried & tested, you will probably be able to upgrade to windows 8 later anyway pretty cheaply (currently only £14.99) , i5 processors are pretty cheap these days too...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi Adam,

I bought a Samsung RV520 i3 laptop running Windows 7 64 bit in the period were you could upgrade to W8 Pro for £14.99, I think the promo ends this month, if you get a W7 laptop before then you could do a dual boot, which I have done, some will say you can't do it, a search on the net proves you can.

Hope that helps

Steve

Windows 7 64bit is the best option with any dual core laptop with at least 4gb hard drive. I got windows 8 but i find it a complete pain!! The metro interface just gets annoying plus there are other quirks that windows 7 does not have.

This seems a good deal at ebuyer.com http://www.ebuyer.com/398053-acer-aspire-v5-thin-and-light-nx-m2cek-003 £229 after cashback!

James

Hi James,

It seems the cpu is not very good - going by some of the reviews. I agree W8 is a bit of a pain, I hope it gets better the more I use it, at least I can default back to W7 were I know everything will work as I expect it to.

Steve

I am using a second hand Dell 630 dual core 2 duo, 4 gig ram under XP. 4 USB ports and you can pick these up refurbished on the bay with a guarantee for £130. Absolutely brilliant, built like a tank and aluminium chassis, not bendy plastic.

Highly recommended.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived