Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Daylight Planets ?

It is possible to see planets in daylight, but it's hardly worth the effort and not really dependent on aperture.

The problem with the big ones, Saturn and Jupiter, is that although they're bright objects, their light is spread over the planetary disc so they have a relatively low surface brightness and the bright daylight sky just swamps them out. I have seen both of them during the day, but only as very faint greyish disks. Venus is obviously easy, and so is Mercury when at its brightest (if you're VERY, VERY careful when viewing near the sun - best do it with the sun out of view behind a building to avoid accidentally pointing at it) The brightest stars, being point sources, are a lot easier.

As for finding them, I cheat and use GOTO! With Venus and Mercury I usually use binoculars and estimate their angular distance from the sun, using my outstretched hand as a guide, when scanning for them.

Hi There,

Yes its possible, used my 10" sct a couple of times to do so, only really to check the accuracy of the goto after setting up. Can't really do anything useful, and echo comments above. If you are using goto then you need to be fully aware of where the sun is in case as you are at the ep it does not slew across the sun.

Cheers

Thanks , I am actually really worried at that thought so won't risk it if the results are not so great . I would just really love to see more planets and they are too low in the horizon in my garden as there are trees and buildings In the way ,at sunset and rise, So was just considering this .

Regarding viewing the sun , I watched the sky at night and the my had the filter papar , where can one buy this ? Is it 100% safe as long as there's no holes or scratches on its surface ,?

Hi There,

You can use Baader solar film, it is effective and safe. If you have a couple of stops in your lens cap cover one with the film and see whatt results you get, I would check each time you use it that there are no pin pricks.

You should not need full apperture as the sun is near!.

Be Safe.

Cheers

I've seen Venus with unaided vision at noon. Quite easy if you know where to look.

As for telescopic searches of the day time sky, there is some danger when sweeping close to the sun. One way to stay safe is to put yourself in the shadow of a building that still leaves the sky you want to view visible.

I found jupiter near the waning gibbous moon last year, two hours before sunset. I found Venus many times in the daylight,my most memoriable encounter: After sunrise in july of last year. And i tracked it until i decided to stop at dinnertime.

I should try to see saturn in daylight when it comes around.

Although i wouldn't take off my lens cap when the sun is above the horizon, i love seeing the bright points of Jupiter and Venus against a bright blue background. Most people are quite freaked out when i point out* planets to them in the daytime.

*Is it just me who is unable not to point out astronomical things to people and wonder why the whole world is carrying on as normal instead of staring at them in awe?

The best planet during the day time is Venus when it is near inferior conjunction. A while back I could almost see Venus appear as a ring on the day it was closest to the sun, about 8 deg away. This was done with setting circles on the scope. First get the sun lined up, then most importantly put somthing in the way to cast a shadow over the telescope before using the setting circles to locate the planet. And make sure that the sun isn't moving to a position where the shadow will move off the scope. And just in general be VERY CAREFUL!!

I suppose it is worth a go. I have looked at Jupiter in day light a few months back in the very early AM, personally I was a bit disappointed with what I saw, it really just looked like a star to me and detail was nowhere to be seen. I much prefer the darkness method. Let us know if you give it a go and what you see. Also I do enjoy the views of the Moon during daylight.

I have tracked Jupiter from early morning right through daybreak till 11:30am in a 115mm refractor. It get's fainter and fainter as the sun gets brighter- and I gradually lost detail - but it was an interesting exercise. I've also seen Venus very clearly just before dusk as it was setting using an 8" Sct - the current phase was crystal clear. So it's not impossible. :)

Archived