Hello folks..newbie here

Hootsitabernacle

how y'all doing? next month is my birthday and i am going to buy a telescope. I have been wanting one for 30 years and i have decided now is the time. I will be spending around the £300 mark and any suggestions will be most welcome. I am going to forbid myself from buying a GOTO scope as i want to learn my way around the sky.

Welcome to SGL

I think if you want a good all-rounder telescope for visual use in that kind of price bracket then the 200P dobsonian is probably the default answer. If you were strongly biased towards solar system targets and wanted to do a bit of imaging of them the answer might be different and if you wanted to get heavily into astrophotography it certainly would ("spend more money" is usually the answer there, no matter what your budget :) In that kind of price bracket for general visual use however, I think the dob is going to be exceptionally hard to beat.

James

A warm welcome to you.

Skywatcher Skyliner scopes are used by many on this site. £300 will get you the 150mm + some kit or the 200mm version. If you are unsure, a visit to your nearest Astronomy society may prove helpful.

Alternatively, a pair of binoculars is a great introduction to Astronomy, while you weigh up your scope options. Many observers revert to binoculars for convenience and portability. I use my 15x70s whenever there are shorter gaps in the clouds.

Happy hunting!

Welcome aboard :smiley: With 300 hundred pounds to spend you'll have a nice choice of scopes, and you've come to a great place to ask about them.

If you can tell us a little more about the type of things you'll like to look at, and other stuff, like where you'll be observing from, it'll help. But yep, the best advice is to visit the local astro club.

And imo the suggestions so far, the skywatcher dobs or binoculars are excellent suggestions.

Hi and welcome to the forum. For the money then as others have suggested the Skywatcher Skyliner 200P is the one I would go for as its the U.K's best selling scope and for good reason. Easy to setup and use along with 8" aperture that really helps make observing the night sky very interesting for sure. Can always mount it on an equatorial mount (...perhaps with Goto? :grin: ) later on should this desire need satisfying so there is clearly options available that will help with any future upgrading.

Clear skies for its eventual arrival and hope you enjoy the forum in the meantime.

James

well folks what can i say!! the Dobsonian is a beaut!! a biggie tho....my initial thoughts before coming on this were the following scopes....

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/evostar/skywatcher-evostar-102-eq3-2.html

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-150pl-eq3-2.html

but i do take what you are saying (plus i never really looked as Dobsonians as i thought they might not be the best for spotting)

also how important are the eyepieces? do i go for the 150 and get some optics or go for the 200?

decisions!!!!

my main use for this would be for the stars, planets etc...photography will come later

thanks everyone for the tips...i have been in and out of different websites for the past month..this seems to be the place to be!

Archived