NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Best way to mount canon to EQ5 mount

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Coincidence!

I've just bought the BH-22Q ball head to put on my dovetail bar (from ModernAstronomy) on a HEQ5!

The BH-22Q supposedly has a 8kg capacity (we'll see) but I won't get near that anyway.

I got the ball head from a very well known auction site.

• 2 weeks later...

will be following this thread and your great blogspot im in a very similar situation with equipment but i dont have the motor drives for my eq5 mount yet and still need to invest in the 1100d (by the way whats your thoughts on this camera its gotta be the best starter dslr right?) i cant offer you any advice but your blogspot looks looks like its gunna give me plenty so thanks

clear skies

rob

hello Jez. I just picked up on this thread, and remembered that with my Canon (550D) I found that the ball head mount was OK for the standard lens, but with anything longer the mount was not really steady. My wife presented me with a 200mm lens for my birthday (lucky me), and then I found it better to use a tripod lens mount so the weight of the camera + lens was held closer to it's centre of gravity. Although some people say the Canon original is best, it is expensive, I bought mine for around £11 so it's not expensive, and then you don't need the ball head. Similar to this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-compatible-Tripod-Mount-100mm/dp/B002RXCOZ2

Just in case it was interesting.

Chris

will be following this thread and your great blogspot im in a very similar situation with equipment but i dont have the motor drives for my eq5 mount yet and still need to invest in the 1100d (by the way whats your thoughts on this camera its gotta be the best starter dslr right?) i cant offer you any advice but your blogspot looks looks like its gunna give me plenty so thanks

I think the 1100D is a good choice. In that kind of price range you'd probably be hard pushed to do better. Cheaper than that there's the 450D which is what I'm currently using.

James

hello Jez. I just picked up on this thread, and remembered that with my Canon (550D) I found that the ball head mount was OK for the standard lens, but with anything longer the mount was not really steady. My wife presented me with a 200mm lens for my birthday (lucky me), and then I found it better to use a tripod lens mount so the weight of the camera + lens was held closer to it's centre of gravity.

Yes. I use a similar arrangement with my 200mm lens. Shorter ones are no problem though.

James

clear skies

rob

Hi Rob,

Glad your enjoying the blog and finding it useful :)

As for the 1100D, its my 1st dslr so I cant compare it to anything, but I am made up with it. I was originally borrowing a nikon D90. Then I was going for a secondhand 350D but I finally decided on a new 1100D as it wasn't much more than the 350D and I knew the history of the camera because it was new.

hello Jez. I just picked up on this thread, and remembered that with my Canon (550D) I found that the ball head mount was OK for the standard lens, but with anything longer the mount was not really steady. My wife presented me with a 200mm lens for my birthday (lucky me), and then I found it better to use a tripod lens mount so the weight of the camera + lens was held closer to it's centre of gravity. Although some people say the Canon original is best, it is expensive, I bought mine for around £11 so it's not expensive, and then you don't need the ball head. Similar to this:

http://www.amazon.co...m/dp/B002RXCOZ2

Just in case it was interesting.

Chris

Yes. I use a similar arrangement with my 200mm lens. Shorter ones are no problem though.

James

I am glad you said that, James :) for a moment there I thought the AP money-monster wanted to get its hands on more of my hard earned £££'s ;)

I only have the kit 18-55mm (atm :rolleyes: )so i wont need the lens mount and will just be doing some wide field subs. I am not looking at getting any lenses. A) because they are mega bucks and B) because Ill use the scope for DSO's etc.

I am glad you said that, James :) for a moment there I thought the AP money-monster wanted to get its hands on more of my hard earned £££'s ;)

I only have the kit 18-55mm (atm :rolleyes: )so i wont need the lens mount and will just be doing some wide field subs. I am not looking at getting any lenses. A) because they are mega bucks and B) because Ill use the scope for DSO's etc.

You'll be fine with the 18-55 :) Some of the shorter lenses don't even have anywhere for the collar to go anyhow.

James

You'll be fine with the 18-55 :) Some of the shorter lenses don't even have anywhere for the collar to go anyhow.

James

Good stuff!

I will get a collar for better balancing, if I ever get a bigger lens as the 1100d body is very light. This was another reason for me picking this camera too, as the mount I am using is nearing its limit with my scope, so any weight I can lose helps by not adding to the issue.

I've just tried a Manfrotto 496 I got quite cheaply second-hand with my HEQ5 and it worked really well. It might be a bit more expensive than the other ball head though.

Alexxx

The Kood ball head looks and feels like a very well made bit of kit, very happy with the purchase. It has an apparent capacity of 8kg (not that Im ever going to get near this) and it has a quick release system too.

I brought one of these

http://www.ebay.co.u...984.m1497.l2649

and bolted it to an old piece of dovetail. Works like a charm and delivery took 3 days. Nice and secure on my EQ6 and take 2 seconds to remove off the EQ6

Yeah I could have gone down the 'not quite so easy to remove' bolt on dovetail, but I chose not to do this and use a ball head, as it makes framing much easier.

The Kood ball head looks and feels like a very well made bit of kit, very happy with the purchase. It has an apparent capacity of 8kg (not that Im ever going to get near this) and it has a quick release system too.

It does give the impression that it's decently made, doesn't it? I was surprised by that when mine arrived because I'm sure I didn't pay very much for it at all. Struck me as a very good deal.

James

Hmmm, a bit of my Manfrotto broke off. It still works but I might buy this next!

Hmmm, a bit of my Manfrotto broke off. It still works but I might buy this next!

I'm genuinely surprised by that. I thought Manfrotto had an excellent reputation.

That said, my Kood head is entirely metal and looks and feels very robust. It should outlast me.

James

Yeah I could have gone down the 'not quite so easy to remove' bolt on dovetail, but I chose not to do this and use a ball head, as it makes framing much easier.

I have always personally had trouble with ball heads working loose which induces movement. I went with what I got and find it great, made of heavy aluminium and is built solid and for under a £5 good value for money.

I also wanted a quick way of removing the camera off the head instead of this constant unscrewing I was doing. Now it's Clunk Click every trip.

I hear what you say about framing.

They do three versions, this is the mid-range one with 8kg load capacity @ 29.99

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KOOD-PROFESSIONAL-BH-22Q-TRIPOD-BALL-HEAD-WITH-FRICTION-CONTROL-8-KILO-CAPACITY-/190782740028?pt=UK_Tripods_Heads_Stablisers&hash=item2c6b89963c

I have always personally had trouble with ball heads working loose which induces movement. I went with what I got and find it great, made of heavy aluminium and is built solid and for under a £5 good value for money.

I also wanted a quick way of removing the camera off the head instead of this constant unscrewing I was doing. Now it's Clunk Click every trip.

I hear what you say about framing.

They also do one with an 18kg capacity!!!! for around 40

there are quality bits of kits, and if you're worried about the ball slipping get the higher rated one for few extra quid, i really cant see it slipping.

When you think of the amount of money you spend to get the images in the first place, its worth spending a few quid to get the image framed nicely and easily.

I am by no means saying "this is the right way to do it" but I would struggle to find a better, easier way of doing this, at this price! :)

Archived