NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Best way to mount canon to EQ5 mount

Hi All,

This is a bit of a newbie question, but whats the best way to mount a canon to an EQ5 mount to take wide-field subs? as in just the camera fitted to the mount.

There is a bolt on the tube rings which I assume is for piggy backing and I may even need another bit of kit to fix the camera there. But i just want to mount the camera straight to the top of the mount without tube rings etc......Is there a connector I need? I have searched for the right piece but with no luck. It may be because I dont know the right terminology or I am just looking in the wrong place. Any help please?

I have the connections to fit the camera to telescope and will be starting to build up my AP skills setting up this way and I also want to use just the camera mounted.

**before anyone says it, I am more than aware that weight issues will probably occur with my setup (listed in signature) when everything is connected, because the EQ5 will be right on its load limit.

I really dont want this thread to be people telling me I need at least an HEQ5 or preferably a NEQ6, when I use the whole setup. I appreciate that there is a lot of expert advice on here, and I dont mean to come across as being ungrateful, but there are people that have had, to my eyes, amazing results with what gear I have. More importantly though, I just dont have the funds to get the 'recommended minimun mounts' for AP and the price jump from the EQ5 is quite a big one. So basically, I will make the equipment that I can afford, work. if that makes sense?.

It will, I'm sure, take me a long time to get to the point where the equipment becomes an issue and causes me problems because I am new to this and there is a lot to learn and I also have the fun task of working out all the software :)

I have 'Making every proton count' and have read a lot of threads and rightly or wrongly I have made MY choices and I stand by them :)

So to sum up, I would like some advice on how to mount 1100d directly on to the EQ5, but any other tips or tricks for my setup will be gratefully received, But please try and make this a positive thread. AP is a long hard journey to take and negativity, I feel, will just be trying its hardest to suck the fun out of the enjoyment I am having.

Sorry if I have come across as a bit of a, er, to coin a Clarkson phrase, 'gentlemen's sausage'. Thats not my intention, I just wanted you all to know my train of thought and outlook on this adventure. :)

I have started a blog on the trials and errors from a beginners point of view, and if your interested there is a link in my signature.

Anyways...Thanks for your interest and Clear Skies!!

Jez

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jez

I have the exact same set up as you minus the motors at the moment. I too got the same replies you talk of in terms of 'get an NEQ6' etc even if I was just asking what was the best camera to buy. As such I have been trying to justify laying a grand out on a mount for a scope I only bought 9 months ago and I'm struggling.

I will look with interest at your progress as I think I am of the mind to follow you and stick with my current set up.

Did you fit the motors yourself? If so, how easy was it to do?

Cheers

Paul

Jez

I have the exact same set up as you minus the motors at the moment. I too got the same replies you talk of in terms of 'get an NEQ6' etc even if I was just asking what was the best camera to buy. As such I have been trying to justify laying a grand out on a mount for a scope I only bought 9 months ago and I'm struggling.

I will look with interest at your progress as I think I am of the mind to follow you and stick with my current set up.

Did you fit the motors yourself? If so, how easy was it to do?

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul,

the motors were extremely easy to fit, I was shocked. To start with I thought that cant be it, but trust me, you will have no problems! (but if you do, just ask on SGL)

All the advice on here on buying the NEQ6 I sure without doubt, are justified. But as I stated, they are EXPENSIVE!!!

I believe, from my point of view, its better to get the affordable kit and start learning and understanding the techniques of AP, and when the time comes when the mount or whatever equipment is not up to the job I am capable of, I will upgrade as needed, as and when.

Some of the results I have seen with the kit I have are brilliant, I will be happy with producing any of it myself.

This is a hobby to me, a bit of fun, something to have enjoyment doing. I really dont see how stressing out over spending, what I consider a huge amounts of money, on kit that is beyond my needs at this time.

Hope this helps

Jez

just drill a 3/8" hole (10mm gives a nice clearance) through a dovetail to take a 3/8" whitworth bolt and screw a ball and socket head onto it which will support your camera.

Hi Kev

I sort of understand what you mean.

With my setup I had both a long and short dovetail. I only use the long dovetail with my scope. Would it be, or do you know if it would be possible to modd the short dovetail to mount a camera on?

If you have any photos of any mods they would help me a lot. As I like to see what it is I am trying to do.

Cheers

jez

Hi Kev

I sort of understand what you mean.

With my setup I had both a long and short dovetail. I only use the long dovetail with my scope. Would it be, or do you know if it would be possible to modd the short dovetail to mount a camera on?

If you have any photos of any mods they would help me a lot. As I like to see what it is I am trying to do.

Cheers

jez

Hi Jez, the short dovetail would be ideal. Basically you can make the DSLR camera dovetail, linked to above, with just one, or more drilled holes and a 3/8" whitworth/unc bolt shown in the TS version to take a tripod head. If you don't want the ability to reframe your camera then the camera could be bolted directly to the dovetail using a 1/4" whitworth/unc bolt.

Hi Jez, the short dovetail would be ideal. Basically you can make the DSLR camera dovetail, linked to above, with just one, or more drilled holes and a 3/8" whitworth/unc bolt shown in the TS version to take a tripod head. If you don't want the ability to reframe your camera then the camera could be bolted directly to the dovetail using a 1/4" whitworth/unc bolt.

cheers Kev

I will have to look into this as Im not sure exactly how to do it.

There is already a hole drilled in the small dovetail I have. would it be possible to use this, maybe making it slightly bigger.

Like i said any sort of picture or diagram would help, but I am sure with a bit of time i could figure it out.

Thanks and clear skies!

cheers Kev

I will have to look into this as Im not sure exactly how to do it.

There is already a hole drilled in the small dovetail I have. would it be possible to use this, maybe making it slightly bigger.

Like i said any sort of picture or diagram would help, but I am sure with a bit of time i could figure it out.

Thanks and clear skies!

If the hole is large enough to let a 1/4" unc bolt go through it then you could bolt the camera directly to it

I'll take a pic of a simple camera mount I use sometimes over the weekend and post it for you

If the hole is large enough to let a 1/4" unc bolt go through it then you could bolt the camera directly to it

I'll take a pic of a simple camera mount I use sometimes over the weekend and post it for you

Cheers Kev. That would be great, thank you very much!

All the advice on here on buying the NEQ6 I sure without doubt, are justified. But as I stated, they are EXPENSIVE!!!

I believe, from my point of view, its better to get the affordable kit and start learning and understanding the techniques of AP, and when the time comes when the mount or whatever equipment is not up to the job I am capable of, I will upgrade as needed, as and when.

Some of the results I have seen with the kit I have are brilliant, I will be happy with producing any of it myself.

This is a hobby to me, a bit of fun, something to have enjoyment doing. I really dont see how stressing out over spending, what I consider a huge amounts of money, on kit that is beyond my needs at this time.

Hope this helps

Jez

Well said Jez.

Well said Jez.

Thanks Oily

I just hope that my words were taken in the right light, and the experts on here understand that i meant no disrespect as their advice is invaluable.

I do think though, that i will have a lot of fun, trials and errors and best of all, successes with the gear I have, and will be adequate for me to learn AP with for many many months/years to come.

I also hope that people that have been put off having a go at AP, because they cant afford these minimum requirements, will think "well hang on, this maybe possible, lets give it a try"

Cheers

Jez

I had a spare short dovetail so I drilled a hole through the centre as Kev suggests and bolted a Kood BH-005 ball head to it. The ball-head has a quick-release mount that fits to the camera's tripod fitting and I leave that in place all the time. I'd really recommend using a ball head because it makes small adjustments in framing very easy, and allows you to get the target orientated however you'd like in the frame. You can do that without, but it's an awful lot harder to work out how to do it with just the RA and DEC axes.

James

I had a spare short dovetail so I drilled a hole through the centre as Kev suggests and bolted a Kood BH-005 ball head to it. The ball-head has a quick-release mount that fits to the camera's tripod fitting and I leave that in place all the time. I'd really recommend using a ball head because it makes small adjustments in framing very easy, and allows you to get the target orientated however you'd like in the frame. You can do that without, but it's an awful lot harder to work out how to do it with just the RA and DEC axes.

James

Hi James

Thanks for the info.

I did a quick google search, but only found the quick release plate for that part number. is there other part numbers for the ball head?

TBH though, I think framing will be the least of my worries as I am knew to AP, so there will be plenty of other bridges to cross before I think about framing. I was also hoping to mount the camera without having to spend too much as my wallet is recovering from the other purchases I have made. So the ball head will probably be a future purchase.

Im also still a little confused over these unc bolts too. Theres so many varieties and Im still unsure what exactly i need to do a basic camera mount using the short dovetail.

appreciate the help

Jez

I assumed the BH in the part number stood for "ball head" and that it meant the entire thing. Certainly mine came as a complete unit. I'm not at home for a few days, but I'll check the details when I get back.

James

Hi Jez

some images for you

two types of dovetail, the really cheap one on the right means you don't need to counterbore the underside of the dovetail to 'hide' the bolt head. If you don't counterbore the plate you need to leave the dovetail overhanging the EQ mount clamp so the bolt head is in fresh air.

post-4594-0-43562800-1360518684_thumb.jppost-4594-0-03074300-1360518770_thumb.jp

Both of the dovetails have a 3/8" whitworth bolt in them to attach a Ball and socket head shown below. If you don't want the freedom to reframe your camera using the b&s head then replace the 3/8" whitworth bolt with a 1/4" whitworth bolt to screw directly into the underside of your camera. The official screw thread for a camera is 1/4"-20 UNC but the 1/4" whitworth can be used as they have very similar thread forms.

Normally I would use a geared head for fine adjustment but the ball and socket head shown would be more than adequate

post-4594-0-18369300-1360518904_thumb.jppost-4594-0-84652600-1360518969_thumb.jp

sorry for the image quality they are off my phone

Hi Jez

some images for you

two types of dovetail, the really cheap one on the right means you don't need to counterbore the underside of the dovetail to 'hide' the bolt head. If you don't counterbore the plate you need to leave the dovetail overhanging the EQ mount clamp so the bolt head is in fresh air.

post-4594-0-43562800-1360518684_thumb.jppost-4594-0-03074300-1360518770_thumb.jp

Both of the dovetails have a 3/8" whitworth bolt in them to attach a Ball and socket head shown below. If you don't want the freedom to reframe your camera using the b&s head then replace the 3/8" whitworth bolt with a 1/4" whitworth bolt to screw directly into the underside of your camera. The official screw thread for a camera is 1/4"-20 UNC but the 1/4" whitworth can be used as they have very similar thread forms.

Normally I would use a geared head for fine adjustment but the ball and socket head shown would be more than adequate

post-4594-0-18369300-1360518904_thumb.jppost-4594-0-84652600-1360518969_thumb.jp

sorry for the image quality they are off my phone

Cheers Kev, thats exactly what I needed. Now I know what to do. Thanks so much!!

Jez

Archived