SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Asteroid/comet 15th feb

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wish I had a go to on nights like this , a novice lost in clouds :( what's more of a p take Thursday was perfectly clear and Saturday is too ! Grr what rotten luck , I looked through the handle at the right time I followed it with sky safari , I live in Cornwall was u looking in the right place ?

Sky cleared promissingly at around 7pm. By the time we had finished dinner, washed up and I was outside it was 99.5% cloud! It cleared around Ursa Major at about 22:00 but without enough stars to do an alignment, I was fighting a loosing battle and finally gave up around 23:30.

Well done to all those who saw it and those who managed to get some images.

I put the TLE's for this object into both Stellarium and Sky Safari and got rather useless results :confused:

It shows the object passing through the plough on a similar rack to actual but not until sometime in April.

Must have done something wrong

Where did you get /generate the TLEs from ? I went searching for TLEs and couldn't fiind anything on Celestrak; Heavenes above and MPC only have heliocentric coords that I can see..

Cheers

Mike

Where did you get /generate the TLEs from ? I went searching for TLEs and couldn't fiind anything on Celestrak; Heavenes above and MPC only have heliocentric coords that I can see..

Cheers

Mike

If you go into the Solar System Plugin - Solar system editor- configure - import elements in mpc format - online search.

Enter the correct name for the object eg. "2012 AD14" and enter. I should download and install the orbital data and make the object available in the search menu.

The solar system plugin is a bit clunky but what can we expect for nowt!!

As already noted, Stellarium didn't make a great job of tracking this object. It was hopelessly off in timing for AD14.

It's due a common mathematical oversimplification that's present in a number of desktop planetarium packages.

If you go into the Solar System Plugin - Solar system editor- configure - import elements in mpc format - online search.

Enter the correct name for the object eg. "2012 AD14" and enter. I should download and install the orbital data and make the object available in the search menu.

The solar system plugin is a bit clunky but what can we expect for nowt!!

As already noted, Stellarium didn't make a great job of tracking this object. It was hopelessly off in timing for AD14.

It's due a common mathematical oversimplification that's present in a number of desktop planetarium packages.

i just tried this but not finding anything in the search for 2012 ad14 :(

Archived