Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Asteroid/comet 15th feb

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Yes asteriod DA14 will be visible on the 15th Feb. This months sky at night magazine has all the info you need to observe it. It will througout the evening change in magnitude so binos will be needed to see it. It will pass right through the handle of the astirism Ursa Major (The Plough)..Good luck with clear skies.

Grant.

Cornwall...

I'm thinking my best plan would be to get the 10" dob out, stick in the widest field eyepiece I have, point it at somewhere the asteroid is supposed to be and wait, hoping there are sufficient gaps in the cloud to allow me to pick it up as it passes through the field of view.

James

There's been a lot of discussion about this asteroid on The Southern Stars support forum and the guys have been doing a lot of work on the Sky Safari App. They've just made an announcement today.

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/southern_stars/message/6198

Thanks for the heads up. The link seems to be broken but the latest app update is detailed here: http://www.southernstars.com/products/skysafari_android/whats_new.html

I'm downloading it now :)

Sent from my ZT ICS using Tapatalk HD

Thanks for the heads up. The link seems to be broken but the latest app update is detailed here: http://www.southernstars.com/products/skysafari_android/whats_new.html

I'm downloading it now :)

SkySafari now works well with this object.

Here is a screen shot:post-28650-136076622828_thumb.jpg

If weather prices to be okay as forecast in leicester I'm gonna head out with my dslr and 15mm lens. No scope yet so hopefully be able to catch something in the general direction may even try a tele lens bit of hit and hope then

I'm probably being too simplistic and hopeful in this approach, but the heavens above website gives coordinates for my location for the asteroid at given times. So could I just put those coordinates into my goto and use a low mag eyepiece and wait for the given time whilst regularly scanning what's on view through the ep to see if something new pops into view?

I know it's not a naked eye object but would a long exposure show it up? Say if I took a star trails shot, would it show up as a line going in a different directions? Any ideas on settings? Or is it really best to put the camera on my scope??? Oh I don't know what to do! :S

Anyone know why android skysafari doesn't find 2012 da14 in a search but on you-tube, they demonstrated it on an iPad? Was wondering if I had a goto mount, as skysafari was demonstrated as tracking this, we could watch it.

Anyone know why android skysafari doesn't find 2012 da14 in a search but on you-tube, they demonstrated it on an iPad? Was wondering if I had a goto mount, as skysafari was demonstrated as tracking this, we could watch it.

Have installed the newest version? It was only made available a couple of days ago. It's been updated specifically to vastly improve tracking of this object.

It shows DA14 very well and is claimed to be highly accurate.

Works very well on my Android phone and tablet.

have you updated the minor body orbit data, it's in settings, solar system (at the bottom)

Archived