Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Head Torches

MikeP

As everyone here must be aware, working at night even with dark adapted vision can be difficult. Some form of illumination may be required whilst imaging / observing, but I find it is vital when clearing up and going in and out of the house after losing dark adaptation.

Initially I tried using a hand held red led torch. It is OK but not really bright enough and I found that when in use it spent more time gripped between my teeth because I needed both hands to operate scope, camera, laptop etc.

The next experiment was with a head torch that my wife bought for me, having seen me struggle (well, heard me curse). You charge it up by winding a handle - its OK too but it ain't half noisy to wind in the middle of the night. Also, I can reveal that Boots 17 "Knockout Red" nail polish is neither my colour, nor suitable for painting the lens.

So I looked round. I eventually settled on the Petzl Tac Tikka Plus. I know it sounds like an Indian takeaway, but it really is a head torch.

It has high, medium and low levels of illumination that are selected by one, two or three rapid clicks. Switching off only requires a single click from whichever illumination level is in use. There is also a flashing option that can be selected with four rapid clicks.

What I really like about it is the red lens cover that hinges up and down. This allows me to use the torch for astronomy with the red lens in place and for woodworking / DIY without it (ageing eyes need lots of light to focus on the small divisions of a ruler). The lowest level with the red lens in place is more than adequate for me to work by and Petzl estimate 120 hours of usage from three AAA batteries in this mode.

The torch is very small and light - so small that I wondered how on earth the three batteries would fit.

The downside is price, I paid £30.95 inclusive of p&p from facewest.co.uk, which on reflection is quite a lot, but I love it and it is getting lots of use.

Mike

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An odd thing I noticed about it... you would expect that as you select the lower brightness levels, it would just lower the voltage to the LEDs... but oh no, it pulse width modulates the full voltage. Sure, you dont notice this normally, but when creeping into the house at night, trying not to wake the wife, and using the downstairs toilet with my Tac Tikka Plus still on...err... how can I put this... the shadow of "the stream" was being pulsed like a strobe light. A very freaky experience when I wasnt expecting it...

I use a headlight from energizer available from Argos in the camping and caravaning section, it has 2 settings which are 2 white led''s when the switch is to the right and 1 red led when the switch is to the left. As with the previously mentioned headlight in this thread it has a pivoting lens and up to now I haven't had to change the batteries ( I use it for reading in bed as well as in the obs). All in all a very good all round unit considering the £10 price tag, very good value in my mind.

.....Brian.....

mmmmm Brian, that light in "Argos" looks a good one - and for £9.99p I think I'll be putting one of them on my Christmas list (well, I'll ask her to buy it now and wrap it up for Chrimbo). (I wonder how many "clear nights" there are to go before Christmas!).

Thanks for the pointer Brian.

Regards,

philsail1

I use a headlight from energizer available from Argos in the camping and caravaning section, it has 2 settings which are 2 white led''s when the switch is to the right and 1 red led when the switch is to the left. As with the previously mentioned headlight in this thread it has a pivoting lens and up to now I haven't had to change the batteries ( I use it for reading in bed as well as in the obs). All in all a very good all round unit considering the £10 price tag, very good value in my mind.

.....Brian.....

The "energizer" h-light (as in Argos) is also easy to mod to run red either to the left or right, avoids accidently turning on the white. Done v. easily with a small piece of red gel placed in between the front lens and the plate into which the LED's sit. XLNT value too.

Karlo

mmmmm Brian, that light in "Argos" looks a good one - and for £9.99p I think I'll be putting one of them on my Christmas list (well, I'll ask her to buy it now and wrap it up for Chrimbo). (I wonder how many "clear nights" there are to go before Christmas!).

Thanks for the pointer Brian.

Regards,

philsail1

It is good value but don't be tempted to go for the one @ £14.99 because its a push button type and you have to cycle through the 2 white light settings before you get to the red setting as against the slide switch of the one @ £9.99....... Get them hints dropped Phil lol

.....Brian.....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got an LED head torch from a local petrol station for £3.99 if you bought more than £20 of fuel. It has 3 brightness settings with 7 high brightness LEDs it has an adjustable strap plus as click stop angle adjustment. I cant remember the petrol station company name but if I see it again I will update post.

Regards

Kevin

LED torches should vary the brightness by varying the current not the voltage...

I use a cheapo LED head torch bought for £5, it has 3 brightness settings plus a flashing setting, it angles nicely on click stops.

With spending another couple of quid on a 2" wratten red filter from ebay it works perfectly for astro use.

When imaging I use a 100W table lamp plugged into the mains!! Forget night vision, just flood the garden with light. Makes life so much easier, and much less likely to blow a few hundred quid by tripping over a cable. Just have to remember to switch it off before starting

I picked up a nifty head torch for 4.99 at Robert Dyas last night whilst out shopping with the wife.

It's pretty bright, takes 3xAAA batteries, but fits nicely on round the head and angled down.

I'll paint the glass cover up shortly with red, but have found that it really dulls the lighting effect. :icon_jokercolor:

I got an LED head torch from a local petrol station for £3.99 if you bought more than £20 of fuel. It has 3 brightness settings with 7 high brightness LEDs it has an adjustable strap plus as click stop angle adjustment. I cant remember the petrol station company name but if I see it again I will update post.

Regards

Kevin

The garage in question was BP.

Regards,

Kevin

I use a Draper head torch, just the ordinery buld type. It takes 4 AA batteries and is quite bright. I fitted a piece of red thearter light gel to front that I scrounged from a mate at work who does thearter lighting as a hobby.

Clear skies

Gary A

Archived