Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Cheaper alternatives to power tanks?

Alaness

I've got my first HEQ5 pro and guide camera in the post. After spending all that I'm being a bit careful with my money. I am however still missing a power supply for the gear. I've found the official power tanks to be quite expensive.

I have found some 12v 17Ah rechargeable batteries on amazon for about £20. Would one of these work as well as the SW 17Ah power tank?

Cheers,

Alan.

If you have a Mains power supply, a Maplin (2) 13.8 supply, with a suitable lead to run the 13.8 volt from inside your house/warm room, Maplin do sell the 2.1mm plugs and cable, i use a 10m cable for the NEQ6 Pwer and a further 3 for Dewheaters, CCD power, plus some USB leads all 10m long and all taped together with self amalgamating tape to form a loom.......

Like Red Dwarf I use a Maplin power tank, I got it in a sale at £20 and it is much better than the skywatcher/celestron ones. You can also charge and power at the same time which is useful when you have managed to drain it using an experiment involving an in car fan heater.

I bought a cheap maplins jumpstarter while back, needless to say battery didn't last too long even though followed specs and advice around charging. im going to open the pack and replace with an AGM 22ah battery and get decent charger. In all honesty trying to go cheap on batteries may well lead to disappointment & more cost in long run! im likely going for this: http://www.advancedbatterysupplies.co.uk/golftrolleybatterylucasagm22ah.html

In my experience the power packs from Maplins et al have widgets you don't need and a life that is entirely variable. I have had both good and very bad experiences with them in the field. It the end I have opted for a lucas golf cart battery from amazon with 20ah and it is entirely robust, predictable and reliable. I coupled this with twin cigar sockets. Cost about £40 and to my mind the best compromise.

I bought a cheap maplins jumpstarter while back, needless to say battery didn't last too long even though followed specs and advice around charging.

I have a suspicion that the quality control on these things isn't particularly great. My first one I've had no problems with. The second one after about four/five months refused to keep its charge (and like you I was regularly keeping it charged even when not in use), but fair play to Maplins, I took it back and they swapped it for a new one no questions asked. That one has been performing fine ever since.

Matsey :)

Archived