NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M1 through 12" dob

Robstargazer15

The 1st Messier object looked different at high power. I saw things in the object ivenever seen before, the greyish oval turned into a irregular form i cant describe, and the smallest hint of filaments that adore M1. Tge brighter filaments showed up in the southwestern bottom edge of M1's irregular shape.

What a nice view of a seldom observed messier object.

Earlier in the month I observed M1 and could just discern an uneven-ness in the nebulae...but couldn't go so far as to say filament structure. Great job. That 12" in a really dark spot would be a treasure. Is it very portable?

Happy hunting.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

I used my GOTO reluctantley after trying to find M1 a few nights over the last few months. ETX90 with a 19mm wide field skywatcher EP and a x2 barlow !!!! It was a small hazy blob of hazy light, and i was well chuffed!! I spend ages looking at M42 and Orion in general and decided before christmas i would like to have a go at seeing all the messiers preferabley without the goto, after viewing quite a few it was nice to finally find M1!! Im going to upgrade to a 12" later in the year so im enjoying getting the most out of this scope!

Nice desciption of what i will upgrade to!

Dark skies and excellent transparency is they key to picking out detail in faint objects like M1.

I viewed M1 just before Christmas in good VLM 6.4 skies but the transparency was really poor, to the eye it looked clear as a bell but through the EP I'd catch glimpses of detail every 15 seconds or so which was just enough to make a sketch, I guess it was very similar to when your observing planets and you have to wait for moments of good seeing.

http://darkskysketches.blogspot.co.uk/search?q=m1

But as estwing says its so easy to imagine detail when looking at the really faint stuff.

Dark skies and excellent transparency is they key to picking out detail in faint objects like M1.

I viewed M1 just before Christmas in good VLM 6.4 skies but the transparency was really poor, to the eye it looked clear as a bell but through the EP I'd catch glimpses of detail every 15 seconds or so which was just enough to make a sketch, I guess it was very similar to when your observing planets and you have to wait for moments of good seeing.

http://darkskysketch....uk/search?q=m1

But as estwing says its so easy to imagine detail when looking at the really faint stuff.

Nice sketch Mike, my drawing abilities amount to broken stick men :laugh:

Steve

http://darkskysketch....uk/search?q=m1

Yes, very nicely done!

M1 is such a tricky DSO. I've looked at it with an 11" from a dark site and still couldn't make out much more than a haze. As Mike has said, I think transparency needs to be excellent for this one (as well as a dark sky).

it's those dammed photo's!!..how many times have you seen the piccy,then seen it for yourself and gone...oh.

Hah! This is why, perhaps bizzarrely, I look at less astro pics now I have a scope :)

I do keep up with APOD, but not the stuff I'm likely to be looking at. Trying to manage my own expectations ;)

Hah! This is why, perhaps bizzarrely, I look at less astro pics now I have a scope :)

I do keep up with APOD, but not the stuff I'm likely to be looking at. Trying to manage my own expectations ;)

That's partly why I like the Night Sky Observers Guides. There are alot of sketches. When you see a sketch made through a 12" scope of a DSO and it still isn't much more than a smudge you know what to expect.

Archived