Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Best focusser for a truss dob

Depends on budget as always. In order of cost/quality downwards

Feathertouch

Moonlite

Baader Steeltrack

TS Monorail

Revelation / Synta

There's a new R&P from Revelation - not heard anything about them yet but I'd still go for either a Moonlite or a Feathertouch depending on budget if possible.

+1 for moonlite-it just oozes quality and is so smooth.one downside compared to some,its 8:1 on slow mo as opposed to 10:1 of some others but personally thats not a problem.price wise they are pretty expensive but i will transfer mine to my next scope,and the next-built to last a lifetime

Got to be a FeatherTouch build quality superb and not as costly as people surmise for a truss dob.

Customer service good ,have had mine fitted to a 15"Obsesssion for coming on five years ,no problems.

Only maintenence required has been a good lube after a really hot very windy and dusty day

Hope this helps!

ATB

Mike

I have a CR1 fitted to the flextube, quite straight forward with the addition of the newtonian installation kit, as no drilling is required. I couldn't quite stretch at the time to purchase a CR2, however it is a beautiful piece of engineering and very smooth at achieving focus. It is also quite light so helps with balancing. I have a duel speed feathertouch micro focuser fitted to my C8 which is a highly recommended upgrade, in particular achieveing exceptional focus at high mags..

Just a footnote, but when I purchased the Moonlite CR1 I was a bit concerned (being new to newtonians) as to how well the focuser would support heavy eyepieces. It does however support my hefty 35mm panoptic no probs! :smiley:

Archived