NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

old, but like new refractor

nightfisher

Having decided not to keep the Antares f15, i wanted a replacement, some thing not quite as big, but a long focal length achromat, so i decided to look out for a Prinz 660, the idea was to find a slightly tatty one, and modernise it a little, with crawmach focuser and new paint job! but this rather tidy telescope came up as a result of a wanted add, frankly its just to nice to alter, so i will use it in standard trim.

Its a 76.2mm f16.5 1250mm focal length achro, same as a prinz 660, but withy a different name on it, ST Astronomical, made in Japan, with the circle K optics logo. The optics are as clean as the rest of it, i will be putting modern tube rings and dove tail on this OTA, it will be used on the HEQ5 and AZ4 mount, for luna, planets and double stars.

The stock focuser is sweet, very smooth and precise, as good as the single speed crayford on my Tal 100rs, and the finder is very clear and just suits this old girl, the mount it comes with is the same as supplied on the Tasco 10TE, its in very good condition, but they are just to wobbly for todays use

post-8850-0-88079100-1358689732_thumb.jp

post-8850-0-78656300-1358689757_thumb.jp

post-8850-0-14139200-1358689803_thumb.jp

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice, nice, nice :smiley:

I like the look of the focuser thumbwheels. Are they stock or an after market add on?

Andy.

I`ve never seen these 76mm scopes with those thumb wheels so i guess they are custom made, i had planned a crawmach focuser upgrade, but the stock item is a real peach

Wow - fabulous! Look forward to more pics of it set up. I wonder if the mount would be more usable with a leg-swap, like I recently did with my Swift mount?

It looks in great condition. Are the original focus knobs in the crate somewhere? At f16.5 that should be completely colour-free and probably an excellent lens to boot!

Ant :)

I have no plans to use it on its original mount, that is already consigned to "the celler", i wont even try for first light till i get the tube rings, then it will spend most of its time on the AZ4, i dont have the original focus wheels, but not a problem as these are rather nice, i plan to make an extension dew shield, that will slide over the original one, as this item is a little on the short side

cheers, she is ready for first light, just need some clear skies, first test has to be Jupiter, at f16.5 this should be all but free of false colour, and the old girl should do some pretty high magnification

That's a lovely scope Jules, in fabulous condition :laugh: ..D'you remember in the old days when we used to be able to do first light reports - I vaguely remember it involved a concept called "Clear Skies".... :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: . Sometimes people still sign off emails with the term, even today! :grin: :grin:

I think the mount looks great too, is it really that wobbly?

I bet that scope will be a real "double star killer" too...any chance of some more pictures?

You just can't beat a loooonng, white tube, can you :icon_salut:

cheers

Dave

That's a lovely scope Jules, in fabulous condition :laugh: ..D'you remember in the old days when we used to be able to do first light reports - I vaguely remember it involved a concept called "Clear Skies".... :icon_scratch: :icon_scratch: . Sometimes people still sign off emails with the term, even today! :grin: :grin:

I think the mount looks great too, is it really that wobbly?

I bet that scope will be a real "double star killer" too...any chance of some more pictures?

You just can't beat a loooonng, white tube, can you :icon_salut:

cheers

Dave

Ha ha, yes i remember doing first light reports, if i get a break in the weather i might try one with this scope just for old times sake, regarding the mount, i cant say if its a real wobbly thing, as i dont plan on using it, but i might set it up for a photo shoot, in fact i will, but the scope is so solid on the AZ4

Excellent Jules a lovely scope there, takes me back a bit.

Looking at the pic of the case it isnt like my old 10TE case as I thought, it looks a custom made job to me. The Tasco crate was narrower and taller thus the tripod legs were on top held in place by spreader bolts on the scope locating blocks.

philj

Managed first light briefly tonight, dodging cloud and rain....................very promising, only viewed Jupiter with 25mm ortho due to cloud, but very clear and sharp. then onto full moon, considering the seeing conditions coupled with full moon, managed x178 mag with 7mm ortho, but much better with 12.5 ortho at x100 due to conditions, also caught the four main components in the trapezium with 25mm

Archived