New to SGL, not new to astronomy

nameunknown

Hi Everyone,

New lightweight roll-off roof on obs (pitched, 2x1 wood and clear polyacrylate - no wench/winch required - can be operated one-handed), so should be doing more - when the sky clears! Extension tube on HEQ5 mount lifts OTA high enough to see the horizon without having legs everywhere to trip over - Syscan cable replaced with cat5 network cable to give extra length (and more corrosion protection for the contacts). So now time to either build some steps for zenith work or swap the Newtonian for something with the eyepiece at the back.

Top tip for today is that galvanised steel trunking (used for hiding cables in plaster walls) makes excellent castor runners for a roll-off if nailed down well and costs about 75p a metre.

N

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi N and welcome to SGL, make sure you give that track of yours a coat of WD40 or oil every now and then, as the cable trunking seems only to have a light coating of galvanising, At least I had some that was attacked by rust when open to the Elements, the wheels of the roof are going to have some wearing effect on it as well, great idea though :)

John.

Thanks everyone - the trunking is "MK Galvanised Steel Channel 12mm X 2m" (£1.48 per length) - a Google search will find it.

Aha! Here's the stuff:

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/electrical/cable-accessories-management/cable-management/trunking/MK-Galvanised-Steel-Channel-12mm-X-2m-11348245?noCookies=false

Wouldn't have thought of that myself, I have to admit.

James

Archived