Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First decent night for a month....

budski

I managed to have an unbroken imaging run a couple of nights ago (15th Jan) between 7-15 and 10pm. The initial 'live' images looked dire until I discovered that I had condensation on the inside of the TV 2.5x Powermate. I sorted that out then did a double check to make sure nothing else was fogged up in the optical train. I managed to run 12 LRGB sets until the seeing deteriorated. Of all the captures this one is probably the best - taken at about 8-15-ish. Usual AS!2 tacking then R6 wavelets and finally WinJupos.

(By the way, am I the only one who has an issue with WJ in trying to exactly align/size the Polar/Equatorial outline for each of the three colours - or am I being too pedantic?)

Pete (Theo) doesn't have that problem with his OSC cam!

Regards

Bud

2013-01-15-2014_8-RGB.tif

Hi Bud,

Very nice image there with a good level of detail.

Regarding your alignment issue in WJ, I have found that when doing the image alignment, i got the best results by using the automatic alignment feature after increasing the brightness of the image and then adjusting the contrast in order to obtain the maximum / sharpest planetary disc size (all done using the settings within the image measurement Adjustment tab)

When I use WJ, I tend to work with separate RGB data. Reason being was to get around an issue I was having with derotating AVI files that were much larger than the 2Gb limit imposed by WJ.

Regards,

Pete.

Hi Pete, the reason why I asked the question is that having zoomed the image up to fill my 37" HD monitor, I noticed how the auto detection feature (in both size and rotation) were slightly different to each other even though the RGB's were exactly aligned. To my aesthetic eye, the curved line across the disk didn't seem or 'feel' parallel with the actual banding on Jupiter. I accept that perhaps I'm being a tad too fussy but I've also noticed this apparent discrepancy when any of the moons are nearby. Despite entering the exact timings as best as I can I still can't align the Jovian disk with that of the predicted positions/outlines of its moons. It could be that the program itself might only be offering an approximation but it bugs me that maybe I've got something wrong. On the other hand, maybe my 'scope or filters are affecting the geometry... or perhaps AS!2 is changing the orientation/size. Either way, there are too many variables to be verfied .... and in truth.... would it make that much difference?

Perhaps I ought to drop Grischa Hahn an email and ask the question.

Regards

Bud

Hi Bus-ter, I know what you mean about the water-colour effect - I think I may have overdone the background noise reduction by a tad and under saturated the final RGB image. Trouble is that it looks ok on the big monitor but different on this iPad screen. I've also noticed that the IDS camera I'm using likes to emphasise certain features but ignore others -weird...... More research required.

Hi Bud,

I also notice a slight variation in the auto detection size and rotation on each of the RGB's (and mine are split from a single AVI) so I don't think you are doing anything wrong here as far as I can tell. Additionally I haven't noticed ant detrimental effect form this in my final derotated images.

I think and email to one of the developers is the way forward to be sure.

Let me know how you go with this one.

Regards,

Pete.

Very nice image Bud - I'm guessing the "water-colour" effect you spoke of is a product of Image Analyser's adaptive smooth/sharpen and/or ad. noise reduction....?

:confused:

If I'm not off-beam in my presumption I've noticed both the "good & bad" aspects to said applications, although tbh I've only just started using these features and even though I think they're great my own thoughts are that they do need judicious applications, which includes where in the processing regimen you use them as well...

I'm tired from lack of sleep caused by imaging these last 2 nights and mornings :rolleyes::smiley: so I can't quite get the nub of your comments re WinJupos :icon_scratch: - but in any case this is a fine image regardless..! :icon_salut: :icon_salut:

Hi Guys, .... James - apart from being long-sighted, the only reason why I have a 37 inch monitor is that in my 'day job' I need to run photo and music apps eg. PhotoShop and Cubase which use lots of pop-up panels. (When not working, my studio serves as the observatory - the scope and mount are remotely controlled). It's advantage is that I get to work in a shirt-sleeve environment despite sub-zero temperatures outside - the downside is that I'm totally disconnected from the sky above.

Darryl you're absolutely right, Image Analyser needs microscopic control to prevent these effects from happening but during a long session the eyes can get tired and subjective - talking of which, it sounds like you could do with a good night's sleep!

Winjupos - I'll send a note to Grischa Hahn to see if he can shed any light on this.

Kindest regards and thank you for the feedback.

Bud

I thought you had a personal assistant to help you out with these things? :wink:

For sure if the noise level is too high then Image Analyser noise reduction has to be pushed too far causing some smearing hence the need for stacking plenty of frames. I can never get away with too few frames because of this.

With all this talk about Holly Willoughby I've forgotten why I started this post .........

.....must be someone from the UK Bud - I've no idea who she(? :rolleyes: ) but I don't think my own assistant* would care for another applicant! (where's the frightened, hiding man icon..? :laugh: )

After I commented to you above i did some I.A. processing amongst my very low altitude Jupiters I took on the 19th & 20th and got some mixed responses over on CN.....mostly to do with the adaptive smooth/sharpen application, which can be a bit double-edged i have to admit.....someone over there tried one of the advanced sharpening filter plug-ins (IIR) and seemed to think it held promise so I'll play around with that when I find time (like maybe the next couple of hours....."she who must be right" had me going out the door for a 10:10am appointment and at the last minute said it was actually 1:10pm..! :rolleyes: )

Any thoughts yourself on some of the I.A. applications.....I've asked Stuart something similar on CN.....

* "assistant" isn't really her idea of her position.....constantly trying to take over as "Supreme Commander" is more her aspirations - but I won't resign....! :Envy::laugh:

Hi Darryl, of course, you probably haven't heard of Holly Willoughby down-under - she's a TV presenter in the UK.

Here is the picture she sent me along with her application form for the job as my assistant....

post-6215-0-61532400-1359026190_thumb.jp

Archived