Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help! Heq5 Altitude bolts 'stuck'

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The more I think about it I suspect this metal is poor quality or maybe I have a dud! Have a look at these pictures of the mount after 1 day of use (indoors), I maybe attached the head 3 times in total and the top of the tripod is all scuffed up.

As for the weight, the metal was chipped and scuffed out of the box before use.

Is this normal? I would hate to see the state of the equipment after a year of heavy outdoor use!

I should also state I take very good care of all the kit I own. post-10381-135845894123_thumb.jpg

post-10381-135845895447_thumb.jpgpost-10381-135845896521_thumb.jpg

Must admit that looks pretty poor quality, I've had my EQ6 PRO for 5 years and it still looks pretty pristine with a minimum amount of maintenance, you might want to talk to the supplier.

The tolerancing on the female threads in the mounts are very large, a standard bolt is almost a rattle fit in the hole

I wouldn't say that they were ever 'almost rattle fit in the hole' when I was setting up last night. They were firm and had a good hold going in and then back out.

I would describe the metal in the hole (and the entire mount) as 'soft' it looks like metal is chewing up when in stressing things in out out carefully, I don't just mean the altitude bolts but in other areas as you can see in the pictures.

Btw I really appreciate all of your replies and help. Feeling pretty stressed out with the whole thing knowing that it cost a lot of money (to me) and I saved hard for it :(

I wouldn't say that they were ever 'almost rattle fit in the hole' when I was setting up last night. They were firm and had a good hold going in and then back out.

I would describe the metal in the hole (and the entire mount) as 'soft' it looks like metal is chewing up when in stressing things in out out carefully, I don't just mean the altitude bolts but in other areas as you can see in the pictures.

Btw I really appreciate all of your replies and help. Feeling pretty stressed out with the whole thing knowing that it cost a lot of money (to me) and I saved hard for it :(

Who was the supplier if you don't feel compromised in passing this on?

The kit was from a well known supplier and I can't fault them at all for this. Very helpful, speedy delivery. Too be honest I haven't raised the issue with them as of yet.

It's more of a build quality/manufacturing disappointment at this point.

The kit was from a well known supplier and I can't fault them at all for this. Very helpful, speedy delivery. Too be honest I haven't raised the issue with them as of yet.

It's more of a build quality/manufacturing disappointment at this point.

I would give them a call, if it's one of a number of the respected suppliers often praised on SGL their customer service is excellent and they will be only too happy to help thereby relieving your stress. Don't do anything until you've had a chat with them all of these things can be sorted out and the weather is going to be pants for a while :smiley:

Well first of all, the mount isnt dead. Bolt problems are common. It's a pain in the ass but not the end of the world. So just relax

The metal is soft by nature. It isnt bad. It's just soft. Design flaw? Maybe. If you have a stronger metal the thing might weight more etc.

The HEQ-5 and NEQ-6 have their problems. Still, they're the best mounts in the price range.

Unless you can get anything to go on from the supplier you might just step it up and force a solution. I cannot recommend you to force anything, but I personally might be tempted to get stronger replacement bolts and just twisting them through.

Just an update: I have spoken with the supplier who has been very understanding. They've seen the pictures and agree that the quality seems sub standard in my case.

A replacement is being sent out to me next week.

Thanks again to everyone who was advising/helping :rolleyes:

Just an update: I have spoken with the supplier who has been very understanding. They've seen the pictures and agree that the quality seems sub standard in my case.

A replacement is being sent out to me next week.

With this being such a busy time of year we arranged for the first mount to be drop-shipped direct to John from Skywatcher's UK warehouse but we will dispatch the replacement mount from our own stock so can check it is sealed/unopened :angel:

Steve

How about that for 1st class customer service, what an awesome result :icon_salut:

Hope all goes well from here on in John.

It would be a wise investment to order replacement bolts anyway as the originals are very prone to bending/damage at our latitude of around 54°, here's a link to what IMHO are the best around if you're interested (scroll down the page).

http://www.axio35.ds...ynta cables.htm

How about that for 1st class customer service, what an awesome result :icon_salut:

Hope all goes well from here on in John.

It would be a wise investment to order replacement bolts anyway as the originals are very prone to bending/damage at our latitude of around 54°, here's a link to what IMHO are the best around if you're interested (scroll down the page).

http://www.axio35.ds...ynta cables.htm

Yes great result. I'm going to order some of those replacement bolts this weekend.

By the way, the weights always chip over a few uses. Mine look shockingly bad, they get bumped and bashed about and the fact that the metal they are made of is quite soft makes the paint flak quite readily. At the end of the day they are only a weight.

I keep meaning to repaint mine with something like hammerite but never get round to it.

Archived