Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help! Heq5 Altitude bolts 'stuck'

Ok so the bolts don't even get through the metal lip. The stop kind of straight away. Both bolts, both sides.

The more I look at it the more I think it's the threads on the mount its self.

So odd that they were fine last night. They were a little stiff coming out but not too bad.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a picture with the bolt in as far as it goes. Not even reaching that 'scuff mark' on the paint.

post-10381-135845693973_thumb.jpg

Same story on the other side. Seems an odd coincidence that both would have problems at the same time.

If the existing won't run through the holes in the mount take a look at the tops of the threads on the bolts, are they truncated significantly (rounded on the crests), if so they may have had the thread stripped and left this material in the roots of the holes in the mount which will stop the bolts screwing through.

The bolt size is M10, can you lay your hand on an M10 bolt to try.

hopefully its just tightening up on a burr on the thread in which case you can run a tap though it, I think you can buy these from most DIY shops now day. If you do this make sure you use plenty of oil on the tap and for every couple of turns in you make half a turn out to stop it binding on the metal its cutting.

Maybe double threaded but wouldn't expect the metal on the mount to do that? Especially after using it for a few hours last night no problems.

And both double threaded at the exact same time? Doesn't seem likely.

It's only a few days old with one use of these bolts last night.

I'm at a loss.

Thing is, this is a fairly simple thing to re-thread if you have someone with tools and know how. If you were a local I'd be able to help you.

My recommendation is to see if you have any mechanics or engineers you know who can take a look. A good local astronomical society should also contain guys with the right tools. Mine has several and the club house has a multitude of powertools.

Wish I could help you out there, but you're like far away, and stuff ;)

I heard the bolts are designed to be very soft so they will bend before they damage the thread on the mount. If this this true then it could be that they have left some of the thread in the mount in which case the only way would be to run a tap though the holes.

one question is there any sign of paint on the internal thread from when the mount was sprayed up?

Thing is, this is a fairly simple thing to re-thread if you have someone with tools and know how. If you were a local I'd be able to help you.

My recommendation is to see if you have any mechanics or engineers you know who can take a look. A good local astronomical society should also contain guys with the right tools. Mine has several and the club house has a multitude of powertools.

Wish I could help you out there, but you're like far away, and stuff ;)

Thanks for the offer anyway :)

I think there is a local club although I'm not a member.

I'm now starting to wonder if there's been a fault when the holes/threads were machined at the factory. Due to the fact it's happened on both sides and the metal seems soft if you know what I mean.

I would definately have a word with the supplier, the bolts are always a problem with these mounts but its nearly always the bolts bending not the thread on the mount itself.

If the supplier doesn't help any then run a tap through which should cure it if the bolts are also ok and they look ok from the pics.

The more I think about it I suspect this metal is poor quality or maybe I have a dud! Have a look at these pictures of the mount after 1 day of use (indoors), I maybe attached the head 3 times in total and the top of the tripod is all scuffed up.

As for the weight, the metal was chipped and scuffed out of the box before use.

Is this normal? I would hate to see the state of the equipment after a year of heavy outdoor use!

I should also state I take very good care of all the kit I own. post-10381-135845894123_thumb.jpg

post-10381-135845895447_thumb.jpgpost-10381-135845896521_thumb.jpg

I dot have an m10 to hand tonight. Would probably have to go to a tool shop tomorrow.

For what it's worth here is a shot of the bolts. post-10381-135845866881_thumb.jpg

Difficult to tell too much but they don't look in too good knick, there are some areas which look worn and may be indicative of material deposited in the threads in the mount

The tolerancing on the female threads in the mounts are very large, a standard bolt is almost a rattle fit in the hole

That's a good point, if the engagement of the threads is poor they will distort readily as the direction they are screwed changes, similar to backlash, the distortion will cold form and roll material off the tops of the bolt threads and deposit it in the cores of the mount threads. A tap to run through the mount threads will confirm if this is the cause.

Archived