Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help! Heq5 Altitude bolts 'stuck'

I'm currently sitting here with heq5 in a bit of a panic!

It's its cloudy so the last couple of nights I've been getting to know my mount and setting it up, practicing etc.

Tonight I have went to move the altitude using the 2 bolts provided but I can get them to go in more than 10mm before tightening up on me. The altitude dial doesn't move and it happens on both bolts on both sides!

I don't get it because I was able to use bolts last night no problems when I was polar aligning. Tonight they won't budge!

I hope this is just me being stupid, any suggestions would be great.

Also I notice that I can move the 'altitude' by hand but its stiff.

Please help :(

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The bolts are "opposing" - that is you have to undo one of them before moving the other one. If you undo both bolts (anti-clockwise) they should become free (and you will lose your altitude setting). Undo them fully and you should be able to move the "altitude" but it will be stiff to move. When tightening them don't overtighten - move the one that you need to adjust the altitude of your mount then just "nip up" the other bolt to "lock" the altitude in position.

The bolts operate against a metal "lug" that sits between them - as one bolt pushes on the lug the other has to be released first. Hope this helps.

It is possible that by overtightening the bolts you may have bent them - this has been known to happen!

Did you release the clamps that lock the mount movements before removing the bolts ? if not you may have deformed the threads. also the clamps will have to be released before you can put the bolts back in ?

If you roll the bolts on a hard flat surface you will soon see if they are bent. You may just have some grit or paint stuck in the threads - you may be able to clean the holes if you have a thin "brush". For lubrication use vasaline (or grease) if you have some.

There is some metal immediately through the hole, but I thought is was supposed to be like that? It's as if something has 'happened' and all Iof a sudden I can screw them in.

Both wife and I can't see that the bolts are bent.

Any chance you could try and take some pictures of that, through the hole??

Well depending on the angle of the the mount, you should be able to screw in atleast one of the bolts...

Can you nudge the altitude by hand with no bolts inserted?

Do you have an astronomical society closeby that could take a peek at it in person.

That piece of metal is the bit that the bolt pushes against to adjust the altitude of the mount - you can see the marks where the bolt has scuffed the paint. That bolt will only go in a short way but the opposite bolt should go in quite a way until it contacts the other side of the metal part that you show in the picture.

Archived