NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Daughter Needs Help

andy77

Hi my daughter is learning about space at school and needs to make a rhyme using the planets in our solar system in order, so :

Mercury

Venus

Earth

Mars

Jupiter

Saturn

Uranus

Neptune

Pluto (We know its been demoted but the kids are still using it)

So Any idea's and must be SPACE themed and kiddy friendly

Thanks Andy & Abigail

I was chuckling about the one that I had to memorise when I was in school the other day actually. I'm only 29 and this is the sort of rhyme I would have imagined Victorian's making their kids remember. I was sent to a private school by my parents though so perhaps that's it.

Anyway it was..

Many, Vicars, Eat, Mulberry, Jam, Sitting, Under, Norman, Pulpits.

Haha. How pompous is it expecting a young kid to remember that.

Surely, if this is going to be accurate it should include all those now reclassified as Dwarf Planets, so Ceres, Pluto, Haumea, Eris and Makemake..

The reasoning behind this is that Dwarf stars are still stars, Dwarf people are still human and Dwarf Hippos are still, well Hippo's...so a Dwarf Planet is still a planet...

Therefore our Solar system now totals 13 known planets, whether dwarf or gas Giant in extremes...

So make up one as it should be...

Mercury > Venus > Earth > Mars > Ceres > Jupiter > Saturn > Uranus > Neptune > Pluto > Haumea > Makemake > Eris

However this could be further complicated this year as the IAU have a meeting scheduled to discuss up to 48 other "Candidate" dwarf planets, so the solar system could expand to 61 planets in total...4 terrestrial, 4 gas worlds and 53 Dwarves!!

Archived