Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Horse's Head in Ha - Atik 314L+

Gina

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks about right for the Atik, well caught! It could probably take some contrast enhancement too as you seem to have enough data.

There is no shame in using a clone brush to eliminate the odd hot pixel or cosmic ray strike ;)

Thank you :) I've taken that last "No Darks" image and stretched it some more.

post-13131-0-31485200-1358709183_thumb.p

Hi Gina excellent. I've been doing some testing on the Atik and some reading and my conclusion is that darks are not really required. I use 5s darks simply to remove bias signal from the lights, although I could do this just as easily with my bias. I was hoping my master dark would remove hotpixels but for some reason in PI this is not happening, so I need to look into that.

I run the Atik around -22 to -20 and the dark signal is very small. When I compare a 5s with 600s there is no difference that I can see in the image statistics.

Hi Gina excellent.

Thank you :)
I've been doing some testing on the Atik and some reading and my conclusion is that darks are not really required. I use 5s darks simply to remove bias signal from the lights, although I could do this just as easily with my bias. I was hoping my master dark would remove hotpixels but for some reason in PI this is not happening, so I need to look into that.
I agree that darks aren't necessary to remove noise and I believe DSS will remove hot pixels but I've forgotten how - must look it up.
I run the Atik around -22 to -20 and the dark signal is very small. When I compare a 5s with 600s there is no difference that I can see in the image statistics.
I run mine at -15C and that last image used 20m or 1200s lights and I don't think there's any dark noise. The only difference with or without darks is the hot pixels.

Lovely clear image Gina, you got a filter wheel on the way?

Thank you :) The Atik CCD camera is a real delight :) As for filter wheel, not on the way - on the camera :) An Atik EFW2 and it's also a delight :) Wish the weather was a delight!!! :(

Beatiful Gina, just need some good weather now to add to it.

Thank you :) Agreed about the weather!
Little does the wife know when i said we would have a new attic it's not quite what i meant :evil:
:D

Will you be adding colour to the monochrome images too?

Thank you :) The Atik CCD camera is a real delight :) As for filter wheel, not on the way - on the camera :) An Atik EFW2 and it's also a delight :) Wish the weather was a delight!!! :(

Great to see another of your images...especially after following a lot of your self build stuff.

Keep up the good work:D

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

Thank you :)

Archived