Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Celestron Advanced VX Mount

FLO

MarkPlym,

I have the C8 on the avx for now about 1 year and you will not regret. I also shot unguided with eos1100d. At f10, i do manage 60 sec sub for 90% shots being usable/round stars (with PEC training, only done it 2 times in 12 months -visually/manually at highest mag i can-and i am within 4 arc second peak to peak typically while without pec, about 30 arc seond peak to peak with a quick change, so i end up with 60% usable shots for 60 sc without pec. Besideusing the pec function, I recommand a 6.3 focal reducer which makes both pe and poar alignment less stringent. With it, i can then us 100% of my 60 sec shots without problem (pec enabled of course). I even did try at f25 and managed perfect round star 2 min ! (but 1 out 2 is not perfect)

The aspa function is good enough for poar alignment in this 60 secxposure time set up f10 or less (i could even push to 2 to 3 minutes when well aligned, but then i may need to discard 1 shot out 3 or 4 (due to the residual periodic error) so waste of total time (and due to light pollution i use iso 800, so istick to 60 sec (and iso1600) and it gives me full satisfaction. See my gallery for results (typically with60 sec sub, at 6.3, iso 1600 with cls clip filter. It works troube free and like a charm (pay attention to well balance the set up and avoid changing too often the set up, slightly east heavy in order to have reliable pec - at the begining i was not balancing well and trying too many different ways to set up, that my original PEC was not usefull very quickly. Keep it simple and make least changes as soon as it works amd gives satisfaction!

and yes dewshield and focus mask recommanded

Have fun

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Erquy

Thanks for your feedback. I have not been able to find any information about the best setup for this mount or reliable imaging times and your information has been very helpful.

I have only just started imaging with my new setup and already I have managed to double my previous exposure times from 15 secs on the Nexstar 5se to 30 seconds in a brief test. I don't know how to use the PEC feature

without an autoguider which I don't have.

Yes I have a Celestron 6.3 focal reducer left over from my C5, but I have not added it to my signature yet.

I was using my telescope at a stargazing event on the moors for my local astronomy society the other night so did not get any imaging done, but everyone was very impressed with the setup.

I will get some more imaging done shortly and take a look at your images.

Clear skies

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

you can use the PEC feature without autoguider, by doing it visually: you simply need a very good night without much turbulences.

Get as good polar alignement as you can

target a pretty bright star near the meridian and equator

use the highest magnification you can [i use f25; simply with a 2.5 barlow

use live view on a computer with the canon software and use high digital magnification

use Al's reticle on your screen and center the defocused star, make sure the sensor in right on the axis

start the procedure for the PEC training and do the PEC training

download the data to your computer and do several training. Load the data in PECTOOL from celestron. Normally it shall be pretty much same curves. Average them, 3 to 5 shall be enough [exclude some if they look really out| and reload the data to the mount.

it takes a bit of effort but this is Worth it. see below post on my Learnings on using PEC

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/189873-vx-mount-pe

Great thread.

I recently traded in my 6SE and upgraded to the AVX with a 9.25SCT.

I so like this mount,  easy to set up and very stable. I am putting my EQ5 Pro up for sale as I much prefer the AVX.

I have an ED80 I will use on it as well as the 9.25

Received the mount yesterday yay! :) I've put it together and at first look it looks much sturdier then the cg5. 

...I have been trialing the mount and I'm impressed. 

... Love the mount had good success with only using it this first time.  

... I definably love the stability of this mount.  

... I am impressed with the whole package. 

... Overall the mount is very well made and easy to use. 

I have the C8 on the avx for now about 1 year and you will not regret. 

I so like this mount,  easy to set up and very stable. I am putting my EQ5 Pro up for sale as I much prefer the AVX.

I thought I'd post today to say how successful the Celestron AVX mount has been since it's launch back in Spring 2013, but I see owners are already doing that  :icon_salut:

Steve :smiley: 

celestron_advanced_vx_mount_91519.jpg

Have to say that I love my mount (well is the 1st one I have had so iind of goes without saying) and am learnning many things about it now, even after 10 months of owning it.  Such as I found it it allegedly has an inbuilt bubble for levelling off...never knew that before today.  Just need to find it now.  Also found out last week you can get a polar scope that fits through the mount.  Yet another thing to save up for and justtify to the TLBC (Top Level Budget Controller) why I need to spend for that.

... it allegedly has an inbuilt bubble for levelling off...never knew that before

It is good to hear you are pleased. 

The AVX doesn't include a bubble level. That is a typo in an early copy of the instructions and was mentioned earlier in this thread :smiley: 

HTH, 

Steve

It is good to hear you are pleased. 

The AVX doesn't include a bubble level. That is a typo in an early copy of the instructions and was mentioned earlier in this thread :smiley:

HTH, 

Steve

Ahh...thought I was going slightly more mad there...that will teach me to read instruction manuals...nearly time to hand back my Man Card.....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi

you can use the PEC feature without autoguider, by doing it visually: you simply need a very good night without much turbulences.

Get as good polar alignement as you can

target a pretty bright star near the meridian and equator

use the highest magnification you can [i use f25; simply with a 2.5 barlow

use live view on a computer with the canon software and use high digital magnification

use Al's reticle on your screen and center the defocused star, make sure the sensor in right on the axis

start the procedure for the PEC training and do the PEC training

download the data to your computer and do several training. Load the data in PECTOOL from celestron. Normally it shall be pretty much same curves. Average them, 3 to 5 shall be enough [exclude some if they look really out| and reload the data to the mount.

it takes a bit of effort but this is Worth it. see below post on my Learnings on using PEC

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/189873-vx-mount-pe

Erquy, I have just read your comments above, many thanks for the information I will give it a go.

Archived