Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New Celestron Advanced VX Mount

FLO

Can you post some pics of the inside with the dec assembly removed? I'd be quite intersted to see inside the RA and dec assembly.

Since the mount was redesigned for higher capacity, I wonder if it is still similar to GP/CG5 or more similar to the GPDX/D2.

Sorry but I'm not about to tear it apart. I am very happy with how it works so am not going to "fix" it.

Chris

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

$799 in the USA ex sales tax so expect around £799 in the UK.

So, possibly, more than a HEQ5 Pro Synscan? I don't know enough about mounts to compare the two, other than weight capacity (VX = 14kg, HEQ5 = 16kg) so is the VX a better mount than the HEQ5 Pro?

Sorry but I'm not about to tear it apart. I am very happy with how it works so am not going to "fix" it.

Chris

Thanks. Sorry, I didn't realise the VX dec head is difficult to remove. I thought it would be similar to the original EQ5/CG5 where the dec assembly is easily removable just by undoing two bolts. I frequently convert my GP2 between GEM mode and photoguider mode, so I just considered the dec assembly removal part of the normal dis-assembling process like removing the counter weight shaft or taking the head off the tripod.

So, possibly, more than a HEQ5 Pro Synscan? I don't know enough about mounts to compare the two, other than weight capacity (VX = 14kg, HEQ5 = 16kg) so is the VX a better mount than the HEQ5 Pro?

We are expecting (hoping for) a price around £600-650.

As for the Celestron VX v Skywatcher HEQ5-PRO, we won't really know until it arrives but here are our thoughts from earlier in this thread :smiley:

The current CG5-GT has a load bearing capacity around 6.5kg for imaging and 9kg for visual (our figures, not Celestron's). The VX mount has new motors, new gears, a wider base and is mechanically better designed so we are expecting it to have a higher load bearing capacity than the CG5-GT, but not much higher. I doubt that it will match the HEQ5 PRO's 11kg (15kg for visual). It certainly won't come close the NEQ6's 18kg (25kg for visual) but the NEQ6 is significantly larger and heavier. Celestron are focused instead on imagers wanting a modern, portable mount with features normally found only on larger, more expensive models.

In a nutshell, compared to the HEQ5 and NEQ6 models, the VX has a lower load bearing capacity but is more portable and more sophisticated.

HTH,

Steve

I have the Nexstar 8SE OTA on a GOTO and have been thinking of upgrading to EQ for a while but the CGEM is too heavy for my main interest... Portability for sketching at dark sky sites rather than astrophotography. HoweverI do have heavy optics ( bino viewers) and perhaps may, one day, attach a camera. Would the new mount cope (i understood the CG5 would struggle). Also is the polar alignment now any easier ( ie quicker!) for those of us who can't regularly see Polaris?

thx

This new VX mount will undoubtedly be more sturdy than your SE mount (so would the CG5-GT) but if you are sketching it is difficult to justify the additional expense. I would stick with what you already own, unless you plan to do some astrophotography... :smiley:

HTH,

Steve

Thanks Steve. Yes i have kept the current ALT AZ for that reason for a number of years but to be honest i find the GOTO very variable. I have become an expert in balancing the scope, tweaking the backlash, following the 'rules' for best final alignment but it has become a real pain. Someone in another forum suspects the 8se GOTO is unreliable at high values of attachment weight (bino etc) or else i got a 'friday afternoon' job. Whatever. I now never feel confident in knowing how my settings will perform and as i look for harder fainter objects i had wondered if the eqt mount might just do away with all the set up grief... To be replaced, no doubt, by polar align grief!

The Celestron SE mount is normally well behaved. Was it purchased from us? Celestron mounts have a two-year warranty but even if it is older we can probably help.

Polar alignment is not difficult and for regular visual observing near enough is good enough.

HTH :smiley:

No the nexstar was from David Hind Ltd. it has been treated a couple of times for mechanism problems over the 5 years i have had it (and i've had good service from them in general before they changed their sales approach). I'll certainly look with interest at the new mount. Polar without Polaris?

No the nexstar was from David Hind Ltd. it has been treated a couple of times for mechanism problems over the 5 years i have had it (and i've had good service from them in general before they changed their sales approach). I'll certainly look with interest at the new mount. Polar without Polaris?

I've not got a permanent pier so set up fresh every time and I've found that if I polar align one night and mark the back legs of the EQ6 on the ground then next night I can sit the thing down and I've got close enough alignment to keep an object in the eyepiece for about an hour.

Obviously pants for AP but the fact is, I don't have to do PA every night if it's visual, I imagine just the same level faff as if I had Alt/Az so I'd go for one of these if you want one, don't be put off by PA.

• 2 weeks later...

Any up-dates on the VX mount and the starsense?! please

I have just had a long conversation with Celestron-UK regarding the Celestron Advanced VX mount and StarSense.

It is difficult to provide accurate ETAs for new products being launched but here is what we are expecting:

The StarSense is probably 3-4 months away. Unfortunately we don't have a retail price.

The Celestron Advanced VX mount should be on display at the DHinds stall at Astrofest next weekend (next to the Widescreen Centre stall). We say should because Celestron US are putting two on a plane to ensure they arrive in time but the flight has already been delayed once due to bad weather.

You will not be able to purchase an AVX mount at Astrofest, they will have only display models.

We hope to have a retail price later this week.

We should have one Celestron AVX here at FLO (for publicity purposes) in around two weeks so if you are unable to attend Astrofest please check this thread because we will be posting photos and details :smiley:

We should have some Celestron Advanced VX mounts available to sell around the end of this month, but they will be in short supply. A second delivery is scheduled 2-3 months later.

If you would like to be advised via email when they are available to order please click on our 'Notify me..." button.

note-button.png

Hope that helps :smiley:

Steve

What kind of saddle does the mount come with, Vixen or Losmandy?

It is supplied with a Vixen-type saddle. Apparently it has been upgraded along with just about everything else but we don't have a photo. We will post some photos when we receive an AVX mount but Chris Rowland here at SGL has one, he is one of Celestron's beta testers. If he sees this thread perhaps he wouldn't mind posting a photo.

Hi Chris, if you type a single line like "Here is a photo of the saddle" then click on the 'More Reply Options' button (bottom-right) you will reveal more buttons that enable you to upload the photo and attach it to your reply.

Alternatively feel free to email me the photo, I'll then post it here.

HTH :smiley:

I've emailed a photo to FLO's questions email, goodness knows if it will get through.

Basically it's a longer dovetail than on the CG5 with two attachment bolts. There's no separate shoe so if you can't put up with the hold screws marking the dovetail you are out of luck. Apart from that it should hold anything

I expect that the usual people will make after market dovetail mounts, both for Vixen and Losmandy dovetails.

If there's something specific I'll see what I can do - but I'm not taking it apart!

Chris

Hi FLO, good to hear about this new mount and also the response from Bryan Cogdell on the new StarSense accessory. I realise it is 'after the event' but do you know (or could find out) if the StarSense would be compatible with an elderly (2005) CG-5 Go-To Mount? Being an older mount it already cannot have the hand controller or motor controller upgraded (its 'NexStar' hand controller uses version HC: 3.04 and motor controller MC: 5.06 5.06).

Best Regards,

Steve

Archived