SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

January meeting?

bamus

It seems that our group has grown and we have got few new members – welcome All!

Weather permitting I will be leaving my light polluted back garden in search for a new dark site. If more than 4-5 members would like to come, than I think our old site cannot be used and Hanningfield Reservior is also not an option due to lack of parking space. I think I will go there: https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll=51.732647,0.92938&spn=0.002821,0.007843&t=h&z=18 this weekend or next one. There is a lot of parking space and Light pollution should be limited.

Anyone else interested?

regards

Adam

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats the spirit Adam, be great to get out again!

this is my new year resolutions to go out to dark site more often :)

Yeah I'm up for a trip down there, although the weather does not look too smart for this weekend, once again!

Still early days, perhaps weather will clear by Saturday. Will keep an eye on forecast.

Hi all, I'm a new member of the group from Bishop's Stortford. Technically I am an outsider being in Herts, but in fact am only a mile or so from Essex. I would be interested if the day chosen turns out to be promising for clear skies and my lady boss lets me go. The proposed site, which by the way looks interesting, is 90 min drive for me.

This looks like a great site - although the other site is by no means off the agenda!

Jon Starrysky - being in Bishops Stortford I know a site really close by to you where I also have permission from the land owner - not as dark as dengie but you can visibly see the Milky Way.

But lets face it, the reason we havent gone out to a dark site isn't due to not wanting to - its more of a case of weather or it being a week night. I'm gagging to get out - in fact I now use my scope less at home due to being spoilt at the dark sites we have visited.. I may be quiet on this forum at the moment but I am still around - and you can always add me on facebook if you need to contact me off-board. Just prepare yourself for the inane nonsense I spout on there!

Knobby, I did reply to your text mate! Still about, but to be honest my time is current spent researching and spending money on my forthcoming Iceland trip. March 8th is the date of the off - a new moon, clear skies, a comet and northern lights. Gonna be a good one!

hey all - just watching stargazing live now - all about mars - not a complete eye opener but some good stuff nonetheless

im also about but we are expecting a sprog and the current sprog is keeping me busy too !

im also on FB a lot more now too

Ive never watched SG live, i forgot you had a new baby on the way :)

Its been a while... But last time we arrived just before dark to set up safely and arrange the cars, its been so long though that it wasn't getting dark til 9 ish :D

Going by that method we'd have to arrive at 4 !

haha. so rough finish time would be ? or is it a case that people come and go as they please? stupid question probably, though have not followed strangers into fields before !

got to be up early( to earn extra towards a scope) so it might not be the right time , plus might ask to many stupid questions! still only have the bins at the mo

I actually went here a few months ago to have a nose round, and it is a pretty good site. The best place is down by the church, but it is a pretty long walk! The path that leads down is a good bet I think, as there are several areas along there that have room for a few people and no trees. The only problem I can think off is the path could get pretty muddy if it has rained a lot, which seems the norm at the moment!

But I would be up for a visit if you decide to go, so bring it on!

PS, hello Simms, good to see you around again, I was getting worried :)

Archived