Nice 100mm ED refractor

John

Yup - saw that ad earlier - looks like a nice deal. I;d have been tempted if I didn't already have enough (according to Mrs MArki at least) 4" fracs :) I;d love to try one of these against the achros I have.

I'm glad the advert doesn't include a picture (must be strong, must be strong), as I'm supposed to be deciding on the merits of a Skytee II or a HEQ5 Pro. The simplicity of alt/az or the wonders of goto....decisions, decisions!

This isn't helping :)

That is exactly what I want and at a price I had been waiting for, but having had to replace the TV over the Christmas holiday :( means the piggy-bank is a bit too empty, otherwise I would have had it already.

That is exactly what I want and at a price I had been waiting for, but having had to replace the TV over the Christmas holiday :( means the piggy-bank is a bit too empty, otherwise I would have had it already.

Have you considered offering him a trade for TV :smiley:

andrew

Have you considered offering him a trade for TV :smiley:

andrew

I would do so in a heartbeat, but my wife would make sure mine stopped (beating) if I even suggested it ;)

I'll just have to wait for another later in the year. I'm in no rush :)

Quite. A couple of months after SGL and there will be a load of stuff on there when folks realize how little you get to use it in the UK!

Yep, I'm already pricing up some of my gear to sell in the post SGL buying rush. Thanks to Dr. Cox, mid-January is now the time to get the best prices for 2nd hand gear :alien:

It's a good price for the older gold version with the Equinox focuser upgrade.

I had the newer black diamond model for about a year and they are great visual scopes, just need a sturdier mount than the EQ3-2 which I had it on.

If you are visual only and can stretch your budget, it's also worth considering the 120ED.......

Yup - saw that ad earlier - looks like a nice deal. I;d have been tempted if I didn't already have enough (according to Mrs MArki at least) 4" fracs :) I;d love to try one of these against the achros I have.

No bother, meet you halfway, I live near Hull. You could always come to Stargazing Live at the Waters Edge at Barton by the bridge on Tuesday. Almost 2000 people along with the BBC turned up.

I have been tempted at times with one of these, but i the follow Neil English school that a well figured achromat is as good to use, my 4" f15 shows no false colour that i can see

I'm sure it's virtually CA free and it's a lovely scope. It's just mounting a 4" F/15 scope steadily is rather difficult because of that tube length. The ED100 will sit happily on an EQ3-2 or an AZ-4. It will also show over 3 degrees of sky and handle 200x magnification or more (conditions allowing) so it's a versatile visual scope too.

I've read and enjoyed lots of articles by Neil and we correspond occasionally but I just don't quite share his experiences and views on achromats v's ed doublets from the examples of each type that I've owned and compared over the years.

That said I've only observed for short periods with 4" F/15 achromats so I need to do more of this and comparing the views with faster ED doublets before becoming too entrenched :smiley:

Archived