Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Binos vs ST80 vs Heritage130 vs 150/200 Dob (!)

Hi all,

I'm looking for something with the following characteristics:

1. Quick to set up (i.e. not EQ mount)
  2. To be used in a semi-light polluted area (EH49)
  3. Used mostly for DSOs - would check out planets/moon too but not worried about that too much
  4. Visual only
  5. Could be set up to point at something and then let my daughter (8) take a look through.
  6. Decent eye relief, as I wear glasses (short sighted).
  7. Costs - as low as possible :grin:

I'm considering:

1. 10x50 or 15x70 Bino's on a basic mount (hama star 63? + some sort of ballgrip/easy to move head). Maybe also need a reclining chair?
  2. A star travel 80 on a camera mount (although no idea what I'd need to spend on a solid enough mount for this - so perhaps false economy?)
  3. A heritage 130 dob. Although this is portable it would need to go on a table (and chair) - and since I may have to move from back garden to front garden to get some views this might actually be more hassle than is seems, and end up costing more if I have to buy a small outdoors table.
  4. 150/200 Dob (which would be stored in my garage, so wouldn't need a lot of cool down time).

I guess the cost for these would range from £100 up to £300 for the 200 dob. Should I just bite the bullet and spend the £300 ... or can I get a few good years use out of the other options and then upgrade to the dob later? I quite like the idea of the ST80 on a camera mount (with detachable head?) as that could be easy to take away on holidays, but that's a once a year thing and don't want to compromise on day to day if other options are much better.

So ... anyone out there got experience of these and can point me in the right direction? :)

Many thanks,

Dez

p.s I already have Turn Left at Orion - so I know roughly what to expect from viewing :grin:

The best DSO views for around £300 would be a 200mm dobsonian (unless you can get a bigger aperture secondhand) but whether your daughter could reach the eyepiece for high altitude objects without something to stand on, I dont know.

The best DSO views for around £300 would be a 200mm dobsonian (unless you can get a bigger aperture secondhand) but whether your daughter could reach the eyepiece for high altitude objects without something to stand on, I dont know.

+1 on this, maybe for your travels a good set of bins would be a good choice I use 20x80 but you will need a mono or tripod to support them

+2 votes for the most expensive option then :shocked:

Reading further on them I wonder whether I'll end up spending more - on a right angled finder (any cheap recommendations?) and/or a telrad. This probably pushes it to over my budget ... are there 200 dob owners out there living without these modifications? Is the finder really uncomfortable to use??

If I decide to scale back on costs and go with the ST80 I'd be interested in what mount+ballhead (?) to make it only 2 minutes to set up! :smiley:

Cheers,

Dez

I wouldn't discount the Heritage 130. If your interest is DSOs then the extra aperture will be useful, an ST80 can be great under dark skies but it will struggle in more light polluted areas on anything other than open clusters.

The 130 will be much easier to store and move from front to back gardens, and easier for children to view through. It will also cool down more quickly. The 200p is a big beastie and may end up not getting the same use.

To be clear, I have never owned one but have been on the forum for quite a few years and they always get good feedback and as a (presumably) first scope would be great to learn with.

Stu

Ok - so I think my heart is set on a 200 Dob. Anything less and I'll probably wonder "what if". The only problem is cost. Reading up on it (and with a bit of a bad back) I think I'd need the RA finder scope - which is another £65 from FLO. I was pushing it at £300 for the scope - but adding another £65 puts me into overdraft territory.

So ... I'm wondering if I shoud keep saving - but in the meantime spend £50 on a pair of bino's for back garden viewing, and look at getting a 2nd hand 200 Dob during the summer. I'm worried that I'll not really see much with bino's though - as I live between Edinburgh and a refinery (grangemount) - both of which give off constant light pollution. On a clear night (at a guess) I can see approx. 50 to 80 stars in the night sky.

Anyone out there using Bino's in LP skies and still managing to make out a reasonable number of objects? I mean ... if I'll only be able to see a few DSOs/clusters then it seems I'll get bored with the Bino's in a month and I'd have been better keeping the £50 for the scope!

Cheers,

Dez

The Messier list in my sig were all observed with binoculars. I found the 10x50s great to begin with, very usable, but the LP did a bit too often render expected objects invisible. The extra light grasp of the 15x70s made a notable difference in that respect, but they are more cumbersome. I have tended to be somewhat on-off with my observing mind.

Another tick in the box of most expensive, i think 300 is reasonable for an 8 inch scope which will keep you looking for DSO for a lifeime. You would have to buy a telrad finder of something like it to help you locate these. Should be good on planets to. Don't forget Sir Patrick Moore mapped the moon that helped the Russians and the American with a simlar sized telescope that was not driven.

Alan.

The 200p's seem to turn up second hand pretty regularly. I passed on one a couple of weeks ago then regretted it. Saw one earlier this week, 2 weeks old with a telrad, and decided it was time to act!

Off to collect it in the morning :laugh:

Lee

The 200p's seem to turn up second hand pretty regularly. I passed on one a couple of weeks ago then regretted it. Saw one earlier this week, 2 weeks old with a telrad, and decided it was time to act!

Off to collect it in the morning :laugh:

Lee

Nice one. Hopefully one will turn up (in Scotland!) soon ... although with the Brian Cox effect about to kick in I guess I'll be waiting a month or two as people pay silly money for them?!

I'm about to take the plunge on an 8" Dob my-self. Have used bins for the last year and you can see a fair few DSO's as mentioned above. There are two forums on this site for Binoculars:

a. Discussions and

b. Observing with...

May be browsing these you give you a better idea on what Bins offer. I think as many say they complement any scope any-way and not a bad way to start. Often suggested as the best way to start.

On the extra cost of a RACI - I was putting off upgrading despite back issues with the standard one because of the cost. Then found there is a secondhand market for the standard straight through ones. I managed to sell it for c. £30 to another member here so that gave me a good chunk towards the £65.

Personally I would say save for the 200P + RACI and then be prepared to add a Telrad ( another £35) sometime later once you are trying to find non 'naked eye' visible targets.

Nice one. Hopefully one will turn up (in Scotland!) soon ... although with the Brian Cox effect about to kick in I guess I'll be waiting a month or two as people pay silly money for them?!

I must admit that did prompt me to act now rather than wait longer, which I'd have prefered.

At the current rate of cloud cover though you might find the Brian Cox effect evaporating quickly & there'll be a glut of scopes on the market in 2 or 3 months.

You might be able to get one of each :tongue:

Archived