Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Am I just lucky?

EBXL5

Started looking skyward on Christmas Day evening after receiving a wonderful gift from the mother in law and since then I've seen fantastic views of the moon and tonight I saw Jupiter and its moons.

Just felt I had to tell someone, so excited!

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for sharing your enthusiasm!

Jupiter and the moon are really impressive, but just wait until you see Saturn, it's just breathtaking :)

All the best, enjoy your hobby.

Tim

Congratulations EBXL5. I'm a new scope owner as well and I agree, the moon and Jupiter are indeed pretty impressive. It's been cloudy the last couple of nights but this morning offered awesome views of the moon. I look forward to night fall as it is clear overhead right now.

Aloha...

Maka

You really dont need to buy a Moon filter.

I find that it helps reduce the glare a lot, so I don't end up with a purple blob in my vision. Moving from a bright moon to any faint DSO is almost impossible without a moon filter.

Seems like there is a lot of personal preference with filters as with so much other equipment. I'll maybe hang slack on buying any filters for a while. But the Barlow I'm still looking for.

Thanks for the advice, this is a great community to join.

Wow your very lucky my finderscope doesnt work so I have not seen any planets yet and I have had a telescope for nearly a year!! I personnaly think a moon filter helps, in fact I read somewhere I believe it was a sky @ night magazine that you can see more detail if you use a moon filter which I agree with.

Yoman, your finderscope doesn't work? It's a fairly straight forward bit of kit as far as I'm aware, it just needs boresighting correctly first (apologies if that's not the right term, I'm an aviation engineer).

Yoman, your finderscope doesn't work? It's a fairly straight forward bit of kit as far as I'm aware, it just needs boresighting correctly first (apologies if that's not the right term, I'm an aviation engineer).

I made a topic about it, I did everything people said but it was completley impossible so im going to get a telrad finder.

Wow your very lucky my finderscope doesnt work so I have not seen any planets yet and I have had a telescope for nearly a year!! I personnaly think a moon filter helps, in fact I read somewhere I believe it was a sky @ night magazine that you can see more detail if you use a moon filter which I agree with.

Well done for sticking at it and not just giving up!

Archived