finding the right scope

wigwam63

hi star gazers i am new to astronomy but i have 10 x 50 binos ok for luna observation but i need something more powerful .Looking at two scopes at the moment, the celestron nexstar 130 slt go to ,or the celestron nexstar slt 127 which one should i go for .I have an issue with light polution in wigan so i need somthing that can gather as much light as posan you help.

Hi there and welcome.

If you're on a budget and want to maximize light gathering, you should consider dropping the GOTO and look at a dobsonian reflector. This way the money goes into aperture, not electronics.

Best of luck with your scope hunting.

+1 for that, or a larger Newtonian maybe on a EQ mount. If however, you have your heart set on one of these two, then the 130 SLT would be better. The 127 would be good for planets, but you would find the newtonian 130 a better all rounder.

Good luck :)

Hi there and welcome to Sgl,you say you want to pull more light in from stars ect but your going to pull more light pol a filter may help with these two scopes the cash is all going on the goto mount and not on the optics choose well because you will be stuck with the scope for a while

pat

Hi Wigwam and welcome to the forum. The 200P is better visually due to its increased aperture which will gather more light to resolve the deep sky objects. Of course being a dobsonian will mean that you will have to find the objects yourself which isn't difficult and for many is part of the satisfaction of observing.

Clear skies and enjoy the forum

James

Hi and welcome! I think a GOTO might be a good idea for you. It will help you see a lot more things in my opinion and will keep you interested for longer. Once you know where most things are you can step up and get a bigger aperture and see more! Good luck!

Archived