Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

just seen my first ever moon halo!

• 2 weeks later...

I've only ever seen this on one occasion (~Nov 2012)... thought I was loosing it as I never heard of this before...

Some years back while driving to Offaly from Dublin on a winters night, I saw what appeared to be a huge tornado, it was a couple of miles from the ground...

I watched it a long time being directly in my path and only lost sight when I turned south...

It pays to look up now and again... (and carrying a camera) ;)

Is this the smoker's section lol? The whole reason I am here is because I pop out to the back garden for one and end up looking around the sky when clear - the one good thing from smoking I suppose!

Never seen a moon halo but will keep looking.

They are spectacular - I was fortunate enough to see a moonbow a couple of years back when i was down in Cornwall with my family. We'd all piled outside to see an extremely bright passing of the space station, and just happened to glance at the hill opposite from where we expected the ISS to appear and there it was. Best way to describe it is as a ghostly rainbow, and in the dim light, more white than the colourful equivalent we see in the day. Took us a while (and a bit of googling) to figure out what it must be, but hope I get to see one again some day. Didn't have any equipment to hand but would have loved a camera to capture it, it was absolutely beautiful.

Archived