Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

IC 1805 Heart Neb, in Ha-SII +Syn Green Bi-Colour

TakMan

Hi again...

Acquired an additional 16 x600sec subs for my original Ha Heart shot.

Previous post:

http://stargazerslou...0/#entry1706359

I think this last lot of data was better than the rest, but I decided to combine the lot as us UK imagers can't be too choosy can we :smiley: (so 30 subs in all for Ha). Was pleasantly surprised how this reinforced the details and structure of the main bulk of the image and started to bring out the fainter areas plus reduce the noise in the dimmer sections.

For a change I then captured 10x 900sec (my first 15min exposures as part of my on-going beta software tests, combined with learning the idiosyncrasies of my own gear), in SII. Could not believe how little data there was in SII despite imaging at f/3.6 - any slower and I would need the 'patience of a Saint!'

I think that I would be more than happy to continue imaging solely in Ha for the next year, but thought it would be nice to produce a colour picture in the mean time to tide me over! Every time I see Guy's (Coco) signature, it reminds me what I switched from...! :embarrassed:

"Why One Shot Colour?

I like the fact that getting a reasonable good image is better than gathering the parts for an unfinished great one..."

Anyway, plenty to learn from just the simple stuff of aligning multiple sets and then processing. I'm sure the experts on here could point out plenty 'wrong' with this, but for a first attempt at producing a colour image from separate data sets (having come from a OSC) and then producing a synthetic additional channel, I'm pretty pleased with the results.... Going to continue playing with this (perhaps try a different channel order) in Photoshop too!

I used Steve Cannistra's technique (actually for Ha and OIII) if anyone else wants to try: http://www.starrywon...chniquenew.html

Hi-res version here...

http://astrob.in/full/27868/

:icon_santa: Thanks for looking and a Merry Christmas to you all.... lets hope the New Year brings plenty of clear (preferably moonless), nights!

Damian

post-4105-0-53228500-1356003817_thumb.jp

Damian, that's one of the best I've seen for this target, and I applaud your processing skills here as well. I know what you mean about H-alpha imaging, usually lots of data, lots of detail, and you can use this with or without moonlight on most targets. Happy Christmas to you as well!

Thanks for the feedback everyone...

Here are some additional Hi-Res links to the data used:

Firstly to the very faint SII data - 10x 900 secs (at f/3.6) http://astrob.in/full/27887/

and the much stronger Ha data - 30x 600 secs (at f/3.6) http://astrob.in/full/27884/

Also attached, the new Ha with two interesting features highlighted that came out with the added data, due to the compression here, you'll have to use it as a guide back to the hi-res versions....

Looks like the 'Horse'head nebula threw a shoe (left circle) and secondly, a nice column of star forming dust set within the nebulosity.

Thanks for looking,

Damian

post-4105-0-33373100-1356031780_thumb.jp

That's a fantastic image!

Since the last Galloway Star Party, from a point where I had absolutely no knowledge of IC1805, I've become increasingly interested in this area. I'm nowhere near your standard, but you've inspired me to carry on imaging it.

The beauty of Mellote 15, the structure of the Heart Neb as a whole, and things within it like that small but lovely globula cluster (that I know nothing about), want me to learn about it. I feel like I could spend every winter imaging this and not get bored!

Beautiful image, excellent structure.

As a landscape photographer, I'm always looking at composition - for me the left lobe of the heart is cut off and that takes something away from an otherwise spectacular image. I assume you were limited by the scope/camera combinations field of view and that forced the tight framing?

Still, when I can make astro images as good as this, I'll be a happy man.

Cheers,

Peter

Thanks (again) folks....

I think you're right Olly, the reason I swapped to a mono camera (as well as the increasing light pollution in my area, was for the extra sensitivity in Ha amongst other things). I would not want to think just how long this would have taken in my old ST4000XCM camera! Of course there is plenty of extra work involved with such a (mono) system - as you would well know (not including the fact that this new camera was not Mac software sorted by SBIG, despite the advertising..... :embarrassed: but we live and learn I suppose...)

Peter, you are right with regards to the composition and it does niggle me also! I think that the landscape format makes it more obvious, hence the original post here as portrait!

I have lost some image off the bottom due to my alignments each session, and therefore some of that lobe (AND keep doing it every time I set-up and head back to this target which is rather annoying :rolleyes: - the trials and tribulations of setting up each night and not knowing my system well enough!!!) But, I could have got a bit more in with more care and will learn from this - hopefully :smiley: !!

I think though that I'm happier to loose that faint detail rather than the more impressive column of nebulosity at the upper right (landscape format) that is IC 1795 / NGC 896 and besides, I'm 'too far in' now to re-start!

It is though a large target and even with the reducer fitted to my scope (and not an unreasonably sized chip for that matter either) it was always going to be a tight fit to a single frame..... so I could have done a mosaic - then I'd have to learn even more new techniques to pile onto what I'm still learning - and besides, I don't get enough time to image one sequence, let alone 2 frames for the same target!!!!!!

Of course, I could have asked Santa for the 'Baby Q' (like Olly's with a wider field, or an 11Mp full frame chipped camera - again, like Olly is after - although I don't think I'd want to be dealing with such large file sizes come to think of it... but then I don't think I'd be getting ANY Christmas dinner if the wife found out something else 'astro related' was on its way to me, via 'Santa' or otherwise!!!!!)

Thanks for all the comments though - that's what makes us strive to get better!

Season's Greeting to you all - and clear skies also!

Damian

This is the SBIG STF-8300 mono camera - the ubiquitous Kodak 8mp sensor fitted.

Takahashi FSQ106-ED with the focal reducer, so 385mm focal length @ f3.6

You can't get much wider (Tak Baby Q @ 325mm I think with the reducer), unless you head down the camera lens route.... or a bigger / more expensive camera - wife permitting that is!!!!

Valid comments posted by you though... 'must try harder'!!!!

Have a good Christmas,

Damian

PS 7/8 additional panels might take me a few years you do realise!!!

Archived