Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Custom-made Astronomy Adapters & Accessories

FLO

We are launching today a design and manufacture service for customers wanting custom-made astronomy adapters and accessories that are not available elsewhere. John will design and machine the product. John is the man responsible for most of our FLO accessories including the Premium Cheshire Collimating Eyepiece, the Desiccant Cap and a number of other less glamorous products like the recently announced Skywatcher Guidescope Mount Adapter shown here:

skywatcher_guidescope_mount_adapter.JPG

Prices will be lower than you would expect for bespoke work because we, FLO, will not add a margin, commission or any other charge :angel:

What is the catch? There isn't one. But we do have a cunning plan... Our hope is some of the custom parts will have wider appeal so become the basis for fully fledged FLO adapters and accessories.

So, if you need an astronomy adapter or accessory made to your requirements please email us here at FLO. We shall relay your requirements and contact details to John then leave you and him to discuss details price and payment.

When it comes to custom adapters patience is a virtue because it can take a few days to a few weeks. For example it isn't practical to anodise a single item (if anodising is required) so it would be included with a batch of existing designs.

This is a 'soft launch'. We are only mentioning this service here at SGL, not our website, because we don't want to overwhelm John during this festive season.

We like being different :smiley:

• Like 20

Pretty-much anything you like Keith. I only included a photo of the Guidescope Mount Adapter because that is the latest product released. Our webcam adapters, T-adapters, etc are almost all made by John too. Thread adapters should not be a problem.

Excellent idea.

Just a thought - Each person is, seemingly, going to privately enter negotiation with John regarding their own requirements, which is perfectly acceptable practice. I'm thinking however, that surely, once a person has made a 'viable' request, a few people might benefit if the Item in question were 'posted' somewhere, in case someone else might see it and think 'ooh, I could do with one of those', this would make John's life a bit easier (small 'run' rather than 1 off) and help to keep the £/piece to the minimum possible,1 off's can be very expensive, simply doing a run of 3 rather than 1 can drastically reduce the unit price.

Sorry if I'm treading on anyone's toes, just seems logical to me.

• Like 3

Just a thought - Each person is, seemingly, going to privately enter negotiation with John regarding their own requirements, which is perfectly acceptable practice. I'm thinking however, that surely, once a person has made a 'viable' request, a few people might benefit if the Item in question were 'posted' somewhere, in case someone else might see it and think 'ooh, I could do with one of those', this would make John's life a bit easier (small 'run' rather than 1 off) and help to keep the £/piece to the minimum possible,1 off's can be very expensive, simply doing a run of 3 rather than 1 can drastically reduce the unit price.

It is an excellent thought and you are one step ahead of us :wink:

Where we think others might be interested we will post details here on SGL. Probably in this thread. We will also post some photos of finished products. It might inspire ideas and others might request the same or a modified version and it will enable us to gauge interest. Who knows where it will lead.

I am excited about this project because I feel it has potential and and we like being different :glasses2:

Steve

• Like 2

are you guys going to make your own self centering adapters?

Possibly, but I think that boat might already have sailed. We currently offer the Baader Clicklock system and Hotech self-centering accessories and we have some Revelation self-centering extension-tubes and adapters that will be added to our website soon.

We are looking to bring new or improved products to market.

• Like 1

......& you sometimes forget that SGL forum is not the FLO website ;-)

Yes, I heard those rumours too. People might be confused because Cloudy Nights is owned by a retailer. FLO doesn't own SGL. I am flattered if some think that but it isn't true :smiley:

Thank-you for all your emails :icon_salut:

My posting about this new service only days before we close for Christmas probably wasn't the smartest thing to do :blush:

I will relay all the enquiries to John but please forgive us both if you don't receive a response til after we reopen 2nd Jan.

• Like 1

Thank-you for all your emails :icon_salut:

My posting about this new service only days before we close for Christmas probably wasn't the smartest thing to do :blush:

I will relay all the enquiries to John but please forgive us both if you don't receive a response til after we reopen 2nd Jan.

Making a busy Christmas even busier ;).

Will orders be dispatched over Christmas, or will they wait for the 2nd?

Edited by Naemeth

Will orders be dispatched over Christmas, or will they wait for the 2nd?

Officially we are closed til 2nd January. Between us and these four virtual walls some of us will be popping in for a day or two to ensure we are not overwhelmed when we reopen. So 'some' orders will be dispatched but it will mostly be smaller easy to pack items. It is probably best that you assume you won't receive anything til after the 2nd, then you might be pleasantly surprised.

HTH

• 4 weeks later...

Guys I sent in a request but haven't seen anything back yet. It says its still waiting to be allocated.

Yes, sorry about that. I should not have launched this service when we did. I should have waited until we were well clear of Christmas/New-Year. I will relay all the enquiries to John today :smiley:

Steve

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Great Steve :)  Different is the way to be :D  And your enthusiasm is a delight to behold :)  I feel we are kindred spirits :)

Good luck with your enterprise :)

Edited by Gina

Thank-you Gina  :blush:

FLO was essentially born from SGL so being different comes naturally. Indeed during our first year or so our competitors referred to as as 'the forum retailer' (it wasn't a compliment) but they don't tend to say that these days. 

Steve 

• Like 4