Hello (advise please)

Sunny321

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TBH the only thing you need when you start stargazing is your eyes and a map of the sky. I would recommend doing that initially.

The next cheapest step is a pair of binoculars which would be well within your budget. I think the biggest disappointment have when the start stargazing, even maybe with a telescope, is that you do not get Hubble like views. Learn the skies to start with and if you enjoy it then think about a telescope as the next stage. Save a bit more money while you are waiting and then come back for some more advice.

Simon

Hi and welcome Scott, Mia and Caela. There are two options. Either you get a pair of bins, or you get a small telescope. It depends a bit since you can do very good astronomy with just binos and a guidebook. But budding stargazers might be put of by not having a "real" scope.

Here are some suggestions:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/celestron-binoculars/celestron-nature-10x50-binocular.html - a pair of standard cheap 10x50 is an essential tool since it's very easy to bring with you. I find myself grabbing these pretty often when I dont fee like setting up my whole scope.

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-heritage-76-mini-dobsonian.html - the mini dobson is a nice little scope for the price, but if you could stretch that budget a bit I would honestly suggest the larger version, the 130p that many people on this forum use frequently http://www.firstlightoptics.com/dobsonians/skywatcher-heritage-130p-flextube.html

A small refractor like this one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/SkyWatcher-Mercury-707-AZ2-Telescope/dp/B0017GXFXU is also not a bad beginner scope, but you get more aperture by chosing a small dobson reflector like those above. I havent used them, and they get mixed reviews.

This small reflector is also close to your budget: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-skyhawk-1145p.html

I can also recommend this book for a handy guide to the night sky, it also serves as a guide to what you can expect, wich is good since many people get lured into expecting more from their telescopes by looking at ads that exagerate the views. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Turn-Left-Orion-Hundreds-Telescope/dp/0521153972

There are also a bunch of budget telescopes that seem nice, but many of these really dont offer much in quality, so if you find something that appeals, just check in here for a second opinion.

Also, you should check out your local astronomy society, they are a friendly bunch who will be glad to help you with your questions and technical details (like collimation when the time comes).

Hi Scott, I've been stargazing for years (no - decades) with just a pair of binoculars - an old pair of 10x50s I inherited from my father. It is just amazing what you can learn about the stars, the planets and the constellations from them. With my (aging) eyes, the Pleiades is just a blurry group of stars I can just make out, but in my binoculars I can see every one of the key players in that cluster

Also, finding an area local to you that is as far away from city lights and light pollution provides staggering views of the Milky Way and the Andromeda Galaxy with just the naked eye. One problem with jumping straight into scopes is that one may not take the time to just learn the heavens, but end up pointing at things in a disjointed way. Seeing how the sky "fits together" and revolves above your head in the time frame of, say, half an hour - watching stars and planets setting and others rising is the most awe-inspiring part of the hobby for me.

At some point in the future you may well want to buy a decent telescope, and if you can throw in some more £10s into the pot, you can find much more powerful and satisfying scopes for your money.

Good luck

Tony

I'd have to agree that if money is tight then it's hard to go wrong with a decent pair of binoculars and a comfy chair, though in the summer I'll even forgo the comfy chair and just lie on the lawn.

James

Hi Scott welcome to both you and your Daughters to SGL, to help you find your way about the night sky there is a free program, Stellarium, without spending any money as yet, you can all try your hand at finding the Constellations, bright stars/Planets on view at this time of the year, it may also be useful to invest in a Planisphere, as it will show you where these are. Your next step would be a reasonably priced pair of binoculars, probably with the addition of a small step stool and tripod, as this will be of help to your Daughters in keeping them steady. Read as much as you can and search the forum for information, ask as many questions as you like, you will know when it is time to move up to a telescope. Enjoy your Astronomy :)

John.

Hi Scott,

If you haven't done so already, I would really recommend a trip to your local Observatory. You will find enthusiast that will be more than will to advise you on your purchase, probably show you a number of telescopes , binoculars etc. similar to what they would recommend and have onsite and be able give you a quick run-down on how to use them.

As a kid I was given a telescope by my parents, a reasonable newtonian telescope and then left to my own devices. However, not having a clue how to use it was very frustrating and I only ever really managed to look at the moon.

As stated above, a pair of binoculars would be a very good first choice. Many objects in the sky are quite large and are good viewed through binoculars with their wide field of view (FOV). A small telescope that you would purchase would be good for views of the moon (i recommend using a moon filter) and for views of planets, I still have immense fun looking at the planets. £100 will buy you a lot in binoculars, but the issue is usually holding them for extended periods of time, especially larger versions. A tripod will be a good investment to mount them on and help keep the object in the field of view if you are sharing the viewing.

Hi Scott (and the kids).

Good choice of scope. I have the same one (currently).

If you are dead set on a telescope then it will do you fine. But I have to say, a good pair of bino's will make more sense at the very start. I can see jupiter and some of it's moons with my 12x50's. The portability of binoculars may also help in generating a good interest for the children as it is very easy to point them where you like!

Hi Scott, Mia and Caela and welcome to the forum. My first thoughts would be to agree with the majority above that binoculars for the money are the way to go along with Carl's suggestion of the book "Turn Left at Orion", which provides a great list of objects to find as well as enclosing some good directions and maps on how to find them. Having said that, the only snag that I can see with using binoculars is that it will be difficult to share the view amongst three people once an object has been found, especially if the children are young as they won't be able to hold the binoculars steady enough. The answer to this dilemma of course will be to attach them to a tripod, but that will add to your budget and most of the pan and tilt type 'heads' that attach the binoculars to the tripod are by design restricted in how high you can point them. So in addition to the above book, I would agree with Carl's choice of newtonian scopes and in particular the 'SkyHawk 1145P' if your budget can extend to a little bit extra, as it has a larger aperture compared to the dobsonian or the refractor and facilitates manual tracking which is more controlled than 'nudging' the dob, particularly at higher magnification when viewing planets. Hope that helps.

Clear skies and enjoy the forum,

James

Hello and welcome from me too :smiley:

I have to agree with James above - binoculars will be a brilliant way to find your way around the sky and see an amazing amount more than you can with your eyes (especially if they are terrible like mine -eyes that is!) but if you are trying to share things with your kids, then a telescope is a much easier option - you can find your target, then they will be able to look through the eyepiece to see it too. I've lost count of the times I've taken my girls out with binoculars then spent the evening with them saying "Where? What does it look like? I can't find it!!" So a small reflector may be the best way to go - why not try second-hand? Small ones are often sold on as people upgrade.

Hope that helps & enjoy your new hobby together :smiley:

Binoculars are great - but they don't "share" well as you can't really leave a set of bins pointing at an object, unless they are tripod mounted of course

That's actually an incredibly good point!

Tony

Bearing in mind children are involved I would like to point out that for the beginner setting up an EQ mount and pointing/tracking a Newtonian reflector can be very time consuming and requires patience. The EQ mount can be setup before hand -- getting someone to demonstrate it is usually easier than trying to read instructions.

A refractor is easier to deal with when tracking/pointing.

Also with Newtonians the eyepiece can be very high up as it is on the top end of the scope.

On my old Newtonian I found the viewfinder to be in a really awkward place generally being impossible to look though the viewfinder and the eyepiece from te same position..

I am not saying don't get a Newtonian but there are things that are not obvious until you have used one.

Hi there and welcome ,if it was me I would save a little more cash if you can wait a little longer ,but please avoid the high street shops,Argos also tescos asda ect because those scopes are toys really hold of on binoculars because they will hurt your arms and you may not like what you see ,have a great Christmas from me

Archived