NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello

TonyD

Hello from Norway!

I've been interested in stargazing for many, many years and have always thought about getting a telescope to see a few more details that are indiscernable with the naked eye. As I get older I rely on my pair of 10x50 binoculars to scout around the heavens. I am looking seriously at buying a refractor like the TAL 100R or RS (second hand) and, if I get lucky, look forward to getting exciting views of the moon and planets, as well as binaries, nebulae and other deep sky objects. My personal desire is a bit OCD ... merely going through the different stars of each constellation and identifying all the key players and interesting features as they become easy to view. I'm trying to maximise the enjoyment of this hobby without ruining it by becoming obsessed with spending heaps of £££ on "must-have" accessories! I also have an interested soon-to-be-6-year-old daughter who is very interested in the stars and planets and will be an excellent companion as I find out more facts about what's above us!

Cheers!

Tony

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow! Small world! Wondered where that would drop me in Google Maps. My wife's grandmother is out in Ashover, so while I grew up in London, I know this part of the world fairly well!

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome.

Tony

Hi Tony and welcome to SGL, you will not go far wrong with the TAL 100R when you decide the time is right and I wish you every success in finding one. Enjoy your Astronomy :)

John.

Thanks John. Actually I'm possibly going for a new TAL 100RS (although there are opinions that the glass of the older ones is better). Or I might go for the SkyWatcher Evostar 120 with EQ5 mount. That'll give me plenty of fun with my children. That'll also hold out for deep sky viewing until I decide eventually to move to a scope dedicated for deep sky viewing. The TALs are so consistently lauded and praised, I know I can't go wrong with one of them.

Cheers

Tony

I've found a shop in London doing the Evostar 120 with EQ5 for £425 , and another with the EQ3-2 mount for £363.69. All very tasty prices, considering the Norwegian price is ... wait for it ... 8997 Norwegian Kroner (that's about 990 quid at the current exchange rate!!!)

http://www.kikkertspesialisten.no/skywatcher-evostar120-eq5-p-1281-c-730.aspx

Just wondering what that second shop would sell it with an EQ5 mount for - not advertised on their site. I'll have to get in touch with them tomorrow morning.

Tony

Archived