Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Auto Guiding Set up advice

stem1989

Hi guys,

Ok so I think Im almost set for getting some serious imaging, I've got a HEQ5 Pro GOTO(just wanted to future proof it for future scopes) on order and a decent laptop for guiding, now Ive attached a diagram of a set up so I just want to make sure this will work before I buy the additional bits or have I missed something?

I'll try and explain my setup best I can

• scope on HEQ5 pro

• USB shoestring auto guider from scope to laptop

• Webcam for auto guiding using an off axis guider to the laptop with DSLR in the main imaging bit

• Auto Guiding software

Now have I missed anything off? I am looking at getting a filter wheel also. Any advice on weather this set up will work or not?

Im only using my 80mm refractor for now on long exposures, just see what I can do with the bright clusters like M45, my 127mm for some planetary stuff but once I've recovered from buying the mount and guiding system I want to get a 10" Reflector of some kind for unique for my DSO AP. :D

th 10" would be too much + camera + extras a 8" will be better. my old AP set up was a HEQ5 PRO 200p dslr guide scope guide camera worked great but i was using just over the 18kg payload. your 80mm frac will make good widefield shots :) once you up an running theres no going back i sold all my stuff early this year to buy a big dob although it was great fun visual i missed AP so i came back :) and with empty pockets again

I too have a 200P on an HEQ5 with finder-guider. When it guides it's great, but with the long focal length of the scope and with all the weight, I find the slightest breeze or vibration moves the scope and ruins the sub. I'm going to have to get a windbreak and also shoot from my laptop rather than with a remote programmable shutter release as I really shouldn't be touching the scope at all! I was also told by an imager not to walk around the scope either, as vibrations will affect imaging. Just thought I'd better let you know!

It's brilliant when it works though.

Alexxx

thanks for all the replies! sounds like its going to be a lot of trial and error to start out but i'm very much looking forward to it, the DSLR in not modded and yes I was going to use a filter wheel along with the DSLR, I havent done much research on filter wheels nor have I used one before but I hear they help.

Looks like I will order the guiding system bits and hopefully get some clear skies this christmas and start posting some first attempts :D

I wouldn't bother with a filter wheel with a DSLR, just get a clip in light pollution filter, made by Astronomics. They are very good. But there is a different filter for a modded and unmodded camera. Few people use filter wheels with DSLR's and for good reason - There's no real point.

I wouldn't bother with a filter wheel with a DSLR, just get a clip in light pollution filter, made by Astronomics. They are very good. But there is a different filter for a modded and unmodded camera. Few people use filter wheels with DSLR's and for good reason - There's no real point.

Also focus is hard to achieve unless you use an imaging Newt. like an Altair, GSO or Skywatcher Quattro.

I haven't tried a webcam for guiding via an OAG but this rings alarm bells. The stellar images in OAGs are very faint and webcams are not very sensitive so will you find guide stars in an OAG with a webcam? I don't know but I'd want to find out! Maybe someone will come in here or you could post a specific question. I find that you can sometimes struggle to find stars with a Lodestar, let alone a webcam. But I may be worrying about nothing.

Olly

Thanks for all the replies again, I decided to opt for a 9x50 finderscope after having a good read around, very mixed views on OAG's and I'm using a QHY5v mono with the modern astronomy T adapter which should come this week, hopefully it will all work out and I can find some stars in that finderscope!

Thanks for all the replies again, I decided to opt for a 9x50 finderscope after having a good read around, very mixed views on OAG's and I'm using a QHY5v mono with the modern astronomy T adapter which should come this week, hopefully it will all work out and I can find some stars in that finderscope!

You should have no trouble in finding guidestars with this set up, I use the same combo and it works a treat.

Just wanted to show everyone the mess of success, or so it would seem, I have not had a clear night yet but its all pretty much wired up and ready to go done as much as I can indoors and had it guiding tonight for 5 minutes with minimal drift before the clouds rolled over my target, it seems to be working. So next step is to wait for a clear night and post some results and then get it all looking a bit tidier :) thanks for all the advice it was much appreciated!

Archived