NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NEQ6 sounds RUFF AS!

Daniel-K

hi all please could you tell me ig my gears are slipping on my mount in the short video, the bit im worried about is at the end of clip mainly sounds like the gears are slipping or not meshing right :embarassed: having a bad time with my gear at the moment my mammut has to go back for the 2nd time with bits falling from the inside landing on the ccd :( bad times for me and this hobby at the moment

thanks

Dan

IMG_3323.MOV

Dan,

You can reduce the noise with careful setup of the gear mesh, but it is really hard to get rid of it all together. Unfortunately adjusting the mesh between the worm and ring gear also changes the mesh of the worm and transfer gear. Then there is also the motor pinion mesh. It's a bit of a nightmare. That's why a lot of people mod the mount to use belt drive. There's a link to a

on my site which shows how quiet they can be when running on belts, but youtube is full of clips of noisy ones - that's pretty much the norm I'm afraid - so nothing to worry about if you can tolerate it.

It looks like the new EQ6 GT has gone to a belt drive as standard, so Skywatcher have acknowledged that this is the best option. If you don't mind a bit of DIY, it can transform a standard EQ6. Loads of stuff on websites other than mine about this, and a couple of long threads on here.

Hope this helps,

Jack

It can be smoothed with a mount tune and the motor fsonance can be reduced as well BUT its a lot of work I would never reccommend a strip and retune unless you have a fair degree of machanical nous and the mount is misbehaving badly.

The motor resonance issue always seems worse on the EQ6 than the HEQ5 which is a lot quieter. Mine purrs but its been rebuilt at least three times now and tuned to within an inch of its life :)

I have two EQ6's, the newest one sounds like yours. The older black EQ6 (upgraded with new Syscan steppers) makes hardly noise at all? The older EQ6 has been re-built once and is probably better lubed up than the new one but I they are know to be noisy at times. I though it might be load dependant but the new EQ6 makes the same amount of clatter with 40kg of load or no load.

done a stirp down today its nearly eradicated all of it so i can live with it now i will post a video later how how much better it sounds, liking the bet mod aswell :)

These mounts have been stripped and honed by owners ever since they first appeared, even before Beevo published his superb and much ripped-off guides. As you discovered it's not difficult to do if you have the right tools for the job and are careful. You'd have to be staggeringly unlucky or a bit stupid to really make a hash of it.

Archived