Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A Romanian Observatory

jimao22

The top-upper flange have a "stick" (I do not have another appropriate word in English right now) for the azimuthal movement of the mount.

4_flansa_superioara_1600x1200_181.jpg

Because the 8 holes were to big in diameter, I should find a way to reduce this diameter to a "normal" one. So I introduced some polypropylene pipe, adjusted on the lathe, as reducers.

dscf0563_1600x1200_804.jpg

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The next step was to sand-blast everything, because we need to make things look sharp, right?

sablat_cu_alice_2_114.jpg

And everything painted...

final_563.jpg

The rest is history now.

You have some pictures with the pier on the beginning of this topic.

Regards,

Cristian

I forgot to tell you the total amount of money for the steel pier:

7 euro flanges and gusset plates

7 euro PPE pipe

12 euro sandblasting, paint, primer and solvent (all together)

26 euro Grand Total

The lathe is mine and I welded everything with one of my men.

Last winter -25 degree, many days. I went in London in January 2012 when home was a huge blizzard and -25 and to you was a nice and comfortable 2 degrees. Is not always like that, now is suppose to be cold but the temperatures are unusually high +12...+14 degree in the day time and 0...+2 in the night.

The coldest was in 1985 (in my lifetime) when was -34 degrees. I cannot explain you what this mean. I don't know how peoples from Siberia live to -50...-60.

we don't even go that deep for houses here.

We do, we have earthquakes from time to time (1977 - 7.2 Richter scale, 1942 - 7.4 Richter scale), so because of the seismic safety rules, the foundations of houses are very strong and solid.

I will post in few days a .pdf document that shows you the basics of an astronomic system automation. I just need few more days to translate it in English, I need to check everything to not look as a stupid. My English is not so good because I learned by myself and my grammar is poor.

I need to check everything to not look as a stupid. My English is not so good because I learned by myself and my grammar is poor.

I think we would all disagree with you - your English is very good indeed.

I am enjoying reading about your observatory construction - the scale of the engineering is awesome. :smile:

I will post in few days a .pdf document that shows you the basics of an astronomic system automation. I just need few more days to translate it in English, I need to check everything to not look as a stupid. My English is not so good because I learned by myself and my grammar is poor.

I think your English is just fine. better than some english people i know (including me sometimes). I also think this thread is fantastic and am looking forward to the next stage in your observatory. It has as you say been quite cheap as far as money goes, but you have made up for that with hard work and you should be proud of that.

Scott

The day after tomorrow I will finish to check the file promise, but until that time, I want to explain one more time, why my pier foundation is so deep.

Checking around for some good ideas for my future observatory, I sow here some pictures with similar constructions with no deepness (no more than 1 or 2 feet deep). One of the problem is generated by the frost line.

"The plug depth must be down to, or deeper than, the frost line, or three feet deep, which ever is greater. Failure to adhere to this requirement will result in not just minor settling, but listing of the pier by 10 degrees or more from frost heaving! The frost line in your area is well known to local contractors and is a firm requirement in building codes. Look it up and make your plug deeper." (quoted from Cloudynights - Pier Design Fundamentals).

In my area, the frost line is 1.2 m deep.

Moreover, I have problems with another "line", the "contraction clay line", generated by the quantity of water absorbed by the clay, the soil from my area. At the surface, the contraction is very strong during the dry seasons alternated with humid ones. Going deeper and deeper, the problem became smaller, the water quantity deep into the ground remaining almost constant, no matter outside weather conditions.

So that's why I choose to go 2 mtr deep, even if it looks like exaggerate for some of you. Time will confirm if I choose right.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived