Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Saturns Polar Vortex

StuW

Apparently it's something to do with a rotating cloud layer interacting with an intersecting Jet Stream.. They've modeled it on computers to the point where they can make any shape you want.

Thanks for this Stuart, This is an incredible and truely striking image, and I like Emmas title/description "Saturns Baleful Eye" - Even excluding the contribution of the Hyugens team/probe this mission has returned so much science and many beautifull/astounding images. In my book that's 3.26Billion USD well spent - I only wishing NASA had the follow up mission funded and ready to launch.

I only wishing NASA had the follow up mission funded and ready to launch.

In there before anyone else - The follow up mission is Nasa/ESA's Titan Saturn System Mission http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titan_Saturn_System_Mission

Rather smaller/cheaper than Cassinin Hyugens @ on a projected budget of 2.5Bn USD.

Not launching until 2020 and not reaching the target until 2029 - I've a reasonable chance of being alive for the arrival, just hope the dementia won't spoil the interest and wonder ;)

Astonishing photos :shocked:

I've seen the hexagon imaged before but at much lower resolution. These new images, especially the close up of of the pole itself are really something. The Universe never ceases to amaze :smiley:

Hexagons formed naturally at the Giant's Causeway in Northern Ireland and on the Island of Staffa as hexagonal columns of basalt - they were produced by rapid cooling & shrinking of lava. The shapes aren't perfectly regular hexagons but it still looks unnatural to most eyes.

Archived