Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Destroyed my Scope :(

Atlas

Gutted matey.

May sound harsh but I'm kinda hoping that the damage is worse than expected so it is worth claiming on the insurance.

Every cloud has a silver lining tho, u just gotta find it.

Chin up.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update: Good news and bad news.

Bad news: My insurance doesn't cover dropping something. It's a specific policy you need to get.

Good news: The primary mirror isn't cracked as I first thought. When I took it apart, what looked like the mirror fracture was actually a couple long pieces of hair on the mirror. After checking the ota with a straight edge, it isn't bent or deformed. Looks like the camera and focuser absorbed the impact. I was able to swap my focuser and convert it from the normal crawford to a 2 speed with just some part swapping and a custom bracket to engage the fine focuse drive.

So I will still be able to use my webcam until I get a new Canon EOS in February. I dodged a huge bullet this time round.

Bad luck; that is a serious size rig to knock over :(

Do you have the tripod set with a North facing lead leg or South facing? When my mount was delivered it had the pin set for a South facing leg and that just isn't as stable, so I swapped the pin around to standard North leg leading configuration. Much more stable and easier access to the polar scope.

Archived