NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupe 18/11/2012

budski

The large (.ser) file sizes generated by the (IDS) camera in its 16 bit/RAW mode have taken a fair bit of grinding through besides taking up a lot of room on the harddrive. This is probably the best (i.e. clearest so far) of the bunch I captured on early Sunday morning. I had a quick look at my 2011 Jupiter pictures - they still look sharper than anything I've done so far this year. Grooooh....

post-6215-0-59694900-1353363263_thumb.jp

Hi Bus-ter, the stack size on this particular run was 100 frames(using AS2). As regards the 'noise' - I shall have to talk to Emil Kraaikamp to find out how his program handles 16 bit data and if there are any specific settings required. A similar situation exists for Wavelet settings as sometimes R6 refuses to resolve some details.

Personally, I think it's all down to magic - but where's Merlin when you need him most?

Hi Stuart, I have experimented with a batch of different stack sizes but haven't completed the exercise... yet. I don't think my sanity (and backside) can take any more of sitting in front of this machine. What I need is a glamourous lady assistant to do all the number crunching for me ....

Hi Stuart, I have experimented with a batch of different stack sizes but haven't completed the exercise... yet. I don't think my sanity (and backside) can take any more of sitting in front of this machine. What I need is a glamourous lady assistant to do all the number crunching for me ....

Back to a bit of fluff again Bud tutt tutt.

I will second the assistant idea :evil:

Good shot. As stuart says more frames is the way foward i think.

I will be looking for a AD here on SGL from you in the near future then Bud, something starting with Fit lady needed for astronomy project. No expertise needed as all training will be given by me :grin:

"......Fit lady needed for astronomy project. No expertise needed as all training will be given by me".

... now you've got me thinking, Neil!

(3-30am? Don't you ever sleep? No wonder you produce such good pictures)

You don't need to be that fit to do astronomy i never hit the gym & i manage, i must admit having a female assistant would be great & you would find a lot more blokes taking this hobby up :-) oh btw very nice shot Bud, on my earth all i have is clouds above my house it's been unbelievable year for weather, i would love just one night so i can at least try my new camera once, not even had it near the scope :-(

"......Fit lady needed for astronomy project. No expertise needed as all training will be given by me".

... now you've got me thinking, Neil!

(3-30am? Don't you ever sleep? No wonder you produce such good pictures)

Astronomy is one of those things that can be learned Bud as you know. Unlike for example singing where its either in your blood or not. I think i started the other way around though. Its always been in my blood. And i just spent a lot of time learning how to do the other stuff that makes it al possible.

A few years ago, i didnt even know how to send a email i kid you not. Actually started with sony camcorders on a meade 7" f15 mak. used to watch the footage on the tv screen. It was actually surprisingly good. Then came a spc 900 and a pc. a real learning curve at that point.

So far this year has been nothing but setbacks. Hoping this will change soon. we shall see

Make sure your thorough with the assistent. or she might perform poorly. Nuff said :wink2:

Archived