NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Right Angle for 9x50 Finder

I take it you want to convert the finderscope to a right angle. Basically you would have to shorten the tube to allow for the increased optical path through the prism/mirror. Not impossible but would require a great deal of modification. Easyiest solution is the buy a right angle finder and sell the straight through one.

No probs I too am trying to changeover all my finderscopes to rightangled ones. It is so more conveniant conveniant and saves my back

A right angle was one of the best buys I have made for my Newt and EQ5. It has made life much easier when the scope ends up in an awkward position

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps I should have specified that by "urban" in my case I mean close to the centre of a major city - less than 2km out - where even though I am on the crest of a ridge and therefore above most of the lights of the city, a night where mag 4.0 stars are naked eye visible is exceptionally rare. I feel that under these circumstances a magnifying finder is essential. My personalpreference is for RA 9x50 models.

I reckon my skies are a little better but not much - I can generally just see the mag 4 in UMi but rarely the mag 5. there's room for every method here though :smiley:

even if I were just using it for mag three stars though I'd still value my Telrad as I use it geometrically - usually forming triangles to plot the 'correct' position, then the 9x50 RACI and usually it's in the eyepiece at most usual powers

I used a Telrad plus a right-angle 9x50 finder on my 5 inch Newtonian. Skies not too bad so Telrad useful to start with but then the wide magnified view of the finder to hone in on the object made it so much easier.

Archived