Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron skymaster 15x70 bins

jon1000

I have added them to my Xmas list for Santa (along with a zippo hand warmer), in the hope of finally finding the andromeda galaxy (and a few other things but andromeda is something that I want to find but for some reason can't find it with my telescope, I know that some say it's better to see through bins).

I have read some reviews and they all seem to be positive and they will not cost to much money.

I was wondering what you pro's think of them?

Hello Jon and welcome to the SGL. Not familiar with the bins so maybe others will chime in with some comments.

On a clear dark night with little or no light pollution, the galaxy is seen with the un- aided eye as a faint glow. It is best seen in bins due to their wide field of view in dark skies and a scope will only show its central area as a glowing elongated patch of haze that's brighter in the middle. The two companion galaxies are also seen in scopes in the same field of view.

So perhaps there has been too much light pollution, the Moon being out, or the galaxy too close to the horizon that has been keeping you from seeing it. I have seen it with the naked eye and it appeared about the diameter of my thumb held at arm's length under very dark skies. Keep hunting for it - sooner or later you will spot it when the conditions are favorable.

Hi Jon and welcome to SGL, you do not say what scope you have, or what the light pollution is like where you observe from, this has been mentioned and may well have a bearing on finding M31, if you still have problems when you receive your bins, take them to a dark site, but you will also need a tripod with you to keep them steady, I am sure you will soon be rewarded with views of the Galaxy, enjoy your Astronomy :)

John.

Jon I bought a pair of Celestron 15x70 binos a few years ago and I find them very good quality for the outlay. I often use them rather than using my many telescopes. The amount of DSO objects visible will be determined by your location - light pollution has already been mentioned.

Although I am able to tripod mount the binos I often just hand hold them and if you have a reclining garden chair so much the better. The included plastic tripod connector is not the best quality so I bought a metal one from eBay.

With the right sky conditions you will be able to see so many objects and really get to know the sky. I can recall when SGL management first decided to organise a star party at Lucksall I did an assessment of the dark sky conditions because I live fairly close. I took the 15x70 to the site on a clear night and look up and viewed M33 and M1 so I knew the site was ok and it showed the benefit of the binos.

Treat yourself to one of the many good books on binocular astronomy - this one by Steve Tonkin is an example - http://www.amazon.co...36&sr=8-1-fkmr0

Enjoy your binoculars and I am sure you will find and view M31

Mark

Thanks everyone. All good advice, I will take a look at the book.

I have the sky watcher 130p synscan goto scope, in a way I regret getting it because it's hard work getting it set up but once it has found the object then it is "fixed" on it, I have had some great views from it, my favourite being Jupiter with 4 on the moons. It looks amazing. It does use a lot of power and that is the reason I bought a good power pack.

Hi

I've moved this to the "Binocular discussion" section as I feel it's a better home for it.

I've had my finest views of M31 through 15x70 bins from a VLM7 site. Simply breathtaking, it stretched right across the FOV. I had a 16" reflector alongside and although the detail was incredible through this the bins still offered a finer view IMHO.

i have a pair of skymasters and have seen m31 through them too but seeing m31 in bino's is very light pollution dependant.i actually got my first glimps of m31 through my 15x70 skymasters so they are very capable.mine are well made,not too heavy for being hand held and they are dirt cheap.bargain of the decade for me

Hi, Jon,got to say that I enjoy using my celestron 15x70's very much,and think that they provide excellent value for a slight outlay.Then again,they're the only binos that I've used (apart from my ancient 'Prinz' 10x50's- Dixons' finest-lol!).M31 is clearly visible,and also EASY to find through them.I have to admit that,whilst I love my scope,I do have a soft spot for bino astronomy and the pluses it brings- i.e. not cool down time,minimal set up,extreme portability,etc.Hope this helps.

Hi Jon, I find the Skymasters an excellent piece of kit, you will find M31 no problem i'm sure. I have since moved to the 20x80s and also awaiting delivery on the Celestron 10x50s.

There are many fine sights to be seen with your binos, I personally enjoy 'The Skiing Cluster'in Cassiopeia.

Enjoy them and welcome to SGL.

Clear Skies.

I used to have a pair of 15x70 from Omegon, which is practically the same as the Celestron. Very nice for the price. I have since switched to better Helios Apollo bins, which are miles ahead of the Omegon, but also much more expensive.

Regarding the 20x80: those are really tripod only, whereas the 15x70 can still just be hand-held (and they are fine when used in a reclining chair, or when leaning against something).

Archived