Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

4 hour Jupiter animation 10/12/2012

cgarry

The seeing was pretty poor (as usual...) but is was very clear, a non-school night and I wanted to get lots of data to practice building animations with PIPP. The main aim is to get the animation in a form that can easily by uploaded to YouTube with minimal fuss and best quality possible.

So, every 5 minutes for over 4 hours I took a 2 minute capture with my DFK camera. There is no way I would be bothered to do this with my mono camera and RGB filters! As a nice finish, right at the end Ganymede pops out of Jupiter's shadow just before it was about to go behind Jupiter. I would have liked to capture more frames but my mount stopped tracking as Jupiter had gone well past the meridian and I was too cold and tired to do a meridian flip and carry on.

The quality of the individual frames is not great, but I think it is not so bad as an animation.

Jupiter + Ganymede

10/11/2012 22:35 (4 hours+)

Cambridge, UK.

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks for your comments. I think it was a good exercise to go through when the conditions were not great, just to be up to speed when/if they do improve.

I learnt that refocusing between each capture may not be the best idea and that you will always underestimate how many layers to wear on a cold night.

Cheers,

Chris

Chris I can't believe you stopped just as the good stuff started!

Seriously though for poor seeing thats a terrific effort Chris! I don't know why people bother with that RGB nonsense. :cool:

Time travelling as well as 4 hrs clear sky. Is that another new feature of PIPP? :grin:

Btw how did you align the poles on each frame? I've used winjupos but still get a slight wobble.

Thanks again for all the comments.

Chris I can't believe you stopped just as the good stuff started!

Seriously though for poor seeing thats a terrific effort Chris! I don't know why people bother with that RGB nonsense. :cool:

Time travelling as well as 4 hrs clear sky. Is that another new feature of PIPP? :grin:

Btw how did you align the poles on each frame? I've used winjupos but still get a slight wobble.

I know it was just getting good but I took my mount giving up on tracking as a sign that I should go inside to get warm and then go to bed. I kind of regret it now as it would have been nice to see the GRS go across the disc and Ganymede come out from behind Jupiter, but never mind! I was a bit annoyed that Ganymede's approach was not visible because it went into Jupiter's shadow, that was not in my plan.

The aligning of the poles in each frame is done for you when you use an equatorial mount, so long as you do not touch the camera anyway. I was actually thinking I would like to see a version of this length done with an alt-az mount, I think the rotation of the pole positions could look cool, allowing the viewer to know when it had reached its highest point.

Did you notice that PIPP now has a feature to repeat the last frame so that a 'pause' can be inserted at the end of each playback loop? That feature is free, but the time travelling and clear skies features are only available in the paid for premium version coming soon... :grin:

Cheers,

Chris

Thats a nice long capture Chris, Processing looks very good, love the smoothnes. and colour balance. very consistent for that long, well done. When you get good seeing that would look amazing.

I know i keep saying it. But you know as much as i, the uk is not playing ball enough so far this year. Lets hope we all get the seeing we want in the next 5 or so weeks. while jupiter is at its best.

And we can produce some images like those downunder got in recent years. Good work

Cheers Neil. The processing was kept very simple by necessity, trying to process 50 images and keep them looking the same is tricky. So each frame had the same wavelets applied and the same batch processing done in PS.

Indeed, the weather has been so poor this year, precious few clear nights and then the jet stream parked over us anyway. That is the joy of planetary imaging in the UK I guess. But our time will come I am sure!

Chris

excellent result Chris, and thanks for all the effort you put into PIPP it is highly appreciated (I am sure me and the others think it more than say it :-) )

I just love these animations and it is a real reward to get such a one!

Dror

Archived